Women’s basketball sees potential for team

Brooklyn Wiens

With only one senior on their roster this year, the Washburn women’s basketball team has a lot of potential coming from their young players.

“I think that we have four to five in the freshman class [who] can compete for the starting position and a role in the top 10 to 12,” McHenry said.

McHenry is starting his 18th season as the head women’s basketball coach at Washburn and is hoping to resurrect the Ichabods back into contention in the MIAA.

“Since we have a lot of [freshman] they’re gonna be right in there,” said Coach Ron McHenry. “They’re teachable and don’t have a lot of bad habits.” 

McHenry was a national champion during the 2004-05 season and has a 226-76 record in MIAA games, including a 198-36 record at home.

“[McHenry] really cares about his players and he just wants us to be the best that we can be and he really pushes us to be good players and good people,” said Reagan Phelan, sophomore guard.

In Phelan’s senior year of high school, she was named KBCA Miss Kansas Basketball and was Player of the Year for the second straight time. 

She averaged 12.8 points, 5.6 assists, 5.9 rebounds and 5.0 steals per game. Her team went 26-0. 

“We’re going to be really young.” Phelan said. “It’ll be really fun to come together as a team this year.”

In her freshman year at Washburn, she played serious minutes and contributed 25 points and four steals against Northwest Missouri. 

“I’m excited for it,” said McHenry. “[The players have] a lot of energy and they’re young kids with bright eyes looking to learn.”

McHenry is also ready to see support from the Topeka community at this year’s home games. 

Last year, the Ichabods were sixth-overall in NCAA Division II attendance. 

“We have a great [fan] base that loves to watch women’s basketball,” said McHenry. “We got to give them what they want to see.”