Called to Greatness panel answers relationship questions

Yuki Takahashi
Washburn students listen to messages from speakers. Five guests discussed questions asked by students that were related to relationships and singleness.

On Thursday, Feb. 8, Called to Greatness had a student meeting at Community Church, which is across the street from the campus.

Washburn students met at 7 p.m. in the sanctuary of Community Church and had an opportunity to get to know each other and to hear from leaders at the church.

Called to Greatness is a student organization at Washburn. It is a Christian community of young men and women who are serving and working towards the organization’s mission to transform the world. Students can learn more about the organization at this link.

They solicited love-related questions from students for that day’s panel by asking students in a chat group, and MC asked questions from the list to the guests. Then, guest speakers, who are leaders from the church, shared truth and advice on how to properly handle relationships and singleness .

“Once the relationship starts getting physical, it makes it a lot more difficult to make decisions appropriately,” said Miriam Hickman, organization mentor.

Aaron Mullen, Washburn alumnus and guest, attended the meeting and presented his perspective of being single.

“Being in a dating relationship should look a lot more like a close friendship than a marriage,” Mullen said.

Oftentimes, young couples fail to work out because they do not treat the relationship as a friendship. By definition, dating is wanting to get to know one another better, while marriage is a commitment for the rest of one’s life.

All of the speakers discussed the benefits of being single because they have all had experiences.

Kelsey Buehler, guest speaker, talked to students alongside her husband, Alex Buehler, by representing a marriage viewpoint.

“It’s the time to seek the Lord because it’s such a precious time before you get into a relationship,” Kelsey Buehler said.

This is something that must be taken care of whether you are single, in a relationship, engaged, or married and what leaders were conveying throughout the meeting. They moved students by telling the truth and hope. There was no shortage of questions from students who went to consult with them privately.

Every Thursday, the Called to Greatness organization meets at 7 p.m. They do activities to learn more about each other and the community, hear messages from leaders, hold discussions and pray in small groups. The organization welcomes anyone that is or is not a member to their meetings. Here is the link.

Edited by Stuti Khadka and Jeremy Ford