Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Softball team hits home run with new locker room and clubhouse

The recent completion of a state-of-the-art softball locker room at Washburn University has sent waves of excitement through the university’s softball program. This long-anticipated addition promises to elevate the players’ experience both on and off the field. As we dive into the perspectives of the players, it becomes evident that this new facility is much more than just a place to store gear.

Athletes at Washburn are ecstatic at the prospect of having a devoted space for their equipment and personal items that is specifically dedicated to their needs as softball athletes. The locker room provides a space where the team can escape the cold, snow, rain, or extreme heat between games, offering a comfortable and refreshing environment. But that’s not the only potential this new space holds.

The new locker room and clubhouse are anticipated to have a significant impact on the softball program. It serves as more than just a storage space, as it provides an area for team meetings, post-game discussions, and a place for the team to bond. The importance of this facility is acknowledged by the players, who express gratitude to everyone who was involved in bringing this project to life.

“We have been looking forward to this, and are so thankful for everyone who has helped push it to be built,” said star pitcher for the Ichabods, Jaycee Ginter.

Another benefit is the commitment by bettering athletic facilities it demonstrates the university’s dedication to motivating a thriving sports program, which, in turn, is expected to enhance athlete recruitment.

“If we can get recruits to campus, our success rate is really good and this will only help that cause, said Brenda Holaday, head coach. “Washburn is an attractive campus and the Indoor, our field, and now the locker room are all very impressive for a recruit so it certainly helps.”

The completion of the locker room was a cause for celebration, with the construction team working hard to ensure its timely delivery. By the last weekend of October, the locker room was officially ready for use. The rapid turnaround has allowed the softball team to begin moving equipment in and to add a festive touch, as the locker room is already adorned with Christmas decorations.

The new locker room joins a series of recent enhancements to the program, including a turf field, a new fence, and access to an indoor facility. Plans for a party deck in the outfield are also in progress. The multi-functional nature of the facility aligns with the players’ desire to have a space that caters to both their athletic and academic needs.

The new softball locker room and clubhouse stand as a testament to the university’s commitment to providing top-notch facilities for its athletes.

“I love it all and just feel very grateful and blessed that our girls and coaches have this very special place,” Holaday said.

As players settle into their new space, the positive impact on team dynamics, recruitment efforts, and overall program success is very likely to develop. The combination of these efforts not only enhances the softball experience but also solidifies Washburn as a premier destination for student-athletes seeking a high-valued collegiate sports environment.