Study Abroad Orientation helps prepare Bods for their studies overseas

Tina Williams, study abroad program coordinator, gives participants a random scholarship for three students who will leave Washburn for the exchange programs abroad in the 2024 semester. Han Bui, a junior international business and data analytics major, received the highest scholarship at the orientation, which will be added to cover a part of her tuition fee for study abroad.

The Study Abroad 2024 orientation was hosted by Tina Williams, study abroad program coordinator, at 3 p.m. in Henderson Learning Center. Williams also provided different tips and essential tools that will be needed for studying abroad. Participants during orientation can get a chance to win one of three scholarships from Williams that will be applied for their study abroad fee.

Washburn University is not only a campus; it’s also a global support network for American and international students to connect with new opportunities around the world. This orientation connects participants with valuable resources in their host community, from language-learning apps to cultural guides and emergency hotlines.

Besides offering currency exchange tips, scholarships, and financial aid options, Williams also shares expectations for students who are going to study abroad.

“Study Abroad Orientation is to help prepare our students to be successful during their time abroad, whether they’re going to be gone for one week or a whole academic year. We have information and resources to share with them that will help them stay healthy and safe and manage their money,” Williams said. “They learn about all the resources that are available here at Washburn that can travel with them. And also, resources that are available in their local communities and online can help them be successful.”

Williams explains that there will be deeper appreciation when they come back home with the values and experiences that they might have never forgotten and continue building the diversity of an inclusive worlds

“I expect all of our students to be transformed. I expect them to come back with a different set of lenses where they look at our country and our culture in a new and different way and that they have more appreciation for the things that they have here and they have more appreciation for the world and other things that are other opportunities that are available for them.” Williams said.

Han Bui, a junior international business and data analytics major, received the highest scholarship at the orientation, which will be added to cover a part of her tuition fee for studying abroad. This scholarship has more than just financial aid; it’s also a recognition of Bui’s dedication and the impact she hopes to make through her journey.

“I am very grateful in decided to receive this scholarship for my study abroad in France next semester. $300 is a nice amount and will really help me cover other expenses like flies and visa fees that I will encounter. It also will allow me to get more enrichment out of my time abroad. […] I also hope to get to visit some rural villages and wineries in the countryside of France and potentially visit our neighboring country as well,” Bui said.

The three scholarships awarded embody Washburn’s spirit of global connection and show that Washburn cares about students in many different fields. Bui’s story exemplifies the tangible impact these opportunities can have, propelling her dreams of exploring France and embracing new experiences. As graduates return with a deeper appreciation for home and a wider-reaching vision of the world, they become catalysts for global awareness and change.

Edited by LeSha’ Davis and Jeremy Ford