The Blue Diamonds majorette team make their mark on campus

Photo courtesy of Roni Simeon
The Blue Diamonds majorette team showcases their skills at Yell Like Hell. This was their second time performing at the event.

‘We are family, we are one. We’re not just any kind of diamonds, we are blue shining ones.’

This is the expression of one of Washburn’s newest organizations, the Blue Diamonds majorette team. Roni Simeon, sophomore kinesiology major, created the Blue Diamonds as an outlet for her and others to express themselves through their love of dance.

“I started the Blue Diamonds group because I have always loved dancing and majorette, and I didn’t have the opportunity to attend an HBCU [Historically Black Colleges and Universities],” Simeon said. “Being grateful that I am at Washburn, I decided to bring that experience to Washburn so that I can participate in it and girls who weren’t able to go to HBCUs can participate in it too, or anybody that loves to dance for them to be able to express themselves in that way.”

The Blue Diamonds embody far more than just being a majorette team. The members describe the team as a space for creativity, individuality, independence, community and solidarity.

Joi Hayes, sophomore sociology major, is an additional member of the Blue Diamonds majorette team. Hayes embarked on her personal experience of being a Blue Diamond so far.

“So far it’s been a good experience and it’s really nice getting to immerse myself in a culture like going to a PWI [Predominantly White Institutions],” Hayes said. “I feel like we are a very diverse group of girls so it’s also nice to meet new people, new faces and make friends.”

The group is self-managed as they schedule their own practices, meetings and create their own choreography. However, they are still advised by Teresa Leslie-Canty, student success lecturer.

The Blue Diamonds’ practices are geared towards preparing to perform at Washburn Athletic events. However, the process of getting cleared to perform hasn’t been smooth sailing. They discovered that a particular process for groups to participate hadn’t been established yet.

When planning for a performance in the fall, the team was cleared by the band and athletic directors. A few days before they were about to perform, the Blue Diamonds were told they could no longer do it because there had been a change in athletic directors. Since then, the communication has improved and the steps of action have been made clear. Leslie-Canty touches on how it felt to have to miss out on the performance.

“Everyone has been really nice and accommodating after that, but that was a disappointment because there was a hole where the band had planned for them to perform and everyone was wondering ‘where are they?’,” Leslie-Canty said. “So it was a little disheartening for us at first.”

This fall, the Blue Diamonds performed beside the band at a home Washburn football game.

Starting a new organization takes an abundance of work on top of creating credibility. With 2024 quickly approaching, Simeon shared that one of the main goals she has for the upcoming year is for the Blue Diamonds to be taken more seriously.

“I think that Washburn is not really familiar with the whole idea and topic,” Simeon said. “I really want Washburn to take this seriously.”

An additional goal for the Blue Diamonds is expansion. Hayes addresses that many people mistake the group as being “Black girl exclusive,” but there is no exclusion and anyone is welcome to join the group. The members would love to add more diversity to their team.

To support the Blue Diamonds majorette team, students can follow them on Instagram @ichabod_bluediamonds and stay updated on their future performances.

Edited by Jayme Thompson and Aja Carter