The Washburn theater department gives an inside look into their screenplay ‘Xanadu’

“Xanadu” show times will be in the Neese Gray theater in the Garvey Fine Arts Center. Tickets can be found on the Washburn theater department website. (Courtesy of the Washburn Theatre Department)

The Washburn theater department is bringing the arts, fantasy and roller skates to the stage for their first musical of the school year, “Xanadu.” The fun kicks off with their first showing of “Xanadu” Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the Neese-Gray theater in Garvey Hall.

The story is based on the 1980’s musical film, “Xanadu”, and reflects on the importance of love and art. It stars a struggling artist named Sonny, and Clio, the Muse from Olympus. Clio comes down to inspire Sunny’s creation of a roller disco and ends up catching feelings for the artist, and everything ensues from there.

The musical incorporates all the entertaining elements for the audience to enjoy, including interactive moments and roller skating numbers.

“A musical already has a lot going on anyway and putting them on roller skates with singing and dancing has been a bigger challenge,” said Julie Noonan, director. “We went down to Sk8away and they were very kind to us. They brought in a skate instructor and helped out our kids to get some lessons, especially those who needed to do advanced things on skates.”

The theater department has been working hard to prepare for show time, as “Xanadu” is already the second production to premiere this semester. The students have been working since September having three hour long rehearsals each night during weekdays.

“It has been fun to see everyone grow, seeing them learn how to skate and watching the show come together,” said Lauren Province, sophomore theater education major. “It has some good oldies and it’ll be fun for the audience to interact and come see what we’ve done.”

Jake Anderson, junior psychology major, is a deck stage manager and discusses the behind the scenes process in preparing for the show.

“The most stressful part for me has been scene changes, because we just want to make sure everything runs smooth,” Anderson said. “Everyone has been very involved and I think it can be enriching to be part of something bigger like this.”

Washburn staff and students get free admission to all theater productions by showing their student/staff ID. There is no required ticket fee for general admission, but the department does have a suggested donation of $10.

“We want people to come even if they don’t have $10, but we do accept donations,” Noonan said.

“Xanadu” has six show total dates: Nov. 10, 11, 16, 17, and 18, all at 7:30 p.m. The Nov. 19 performance starts at 2 p.m. and is the only matinee show. Tickets are available for purchase on the Washburn website and can also be purchased at Garvey Hall room 130.

“It is light hearted fun and a good time at about an 1 hour 40 minute run time, ” Noonan said. “We hope you will come to see all of our productions, but if you are just getting started in watching theater, you should come see “Xanadu”, because it’s a great experience!”

To learn more about the Washburn theater department visit their website https://www.washburn.edu/academics/college-schools/arts-scief

Read more about the “Xanadu” screenplay here.

Edited by Jeremy Ford and Sydney Peterson