HOMECOMING: Students enjoy a fun night at CAB’s Homecoming dance

Washburn students gather up on the floor doing the cha-cha slide. The Homecoming dance was hosted by the Campus Activities Board Oct. 25, 2023.

The Campus Activities Board’s well-organized Homecoming dance occurred on Wednesday, October 25, 2023, in the Memorial Union Room A/B. The theme for this year’s event was “Boots, Bling, and Bods,” which worked its magic to turn Washburn A/B into an exciting Saddle Saloon. All in the audience felt captivated and welcomed by the captivating lights that established the scene.

With delectable food and drinks available, students enjoyed a wide range of treats. A brilliant DJ kept the dance floor trembling with energy, while a kcwespin360 camera made sure that special moments were captured on film for all time.

A fascinating world of casino games, including craps, roulette, blackjack, and poker, awaited guests outside the dance floor. By drawing winning tickets, students competed for amazing prizes while bravely testing their luck and abilities. At the end of the event, when the director called out the lucky ticket holders, the suspense reached a peak.

Sugam Tamang, a freshman majoring in business participated in the games and received a ticket for the prize draw, but did not win any prizes. Tamang spoke about her experience at the dance.

“I must admit, though, that this is one of the most wonderful and hospitable gatherings I have ever attended while I’ve been at Washburn. I think more events like this should happen since I had a great time.” Tamang said.

As they got fully involved in the celebrations, their excitement was evident. A wide range of dietary selections enhanced the friendly atmosphere, and well-selected music set the ideal mood and enriched the whole experience.

Students were encouraged to dress up in Western-inspired costumes this year, complete with hats and boots, as the theme encouraged creativity. Participants were given bandanas, which gave the group a more genuine feel.

The event was more than just a party; it became a powerful reminder of the harmony that characterizes the Washburn community. An invisible thread of shared experiences, laughing, and dance routines bonded the pupils as the dancing lights went down and the music faded.

David Lopez-Hernandez, director of CAB talked about the organzation of the dance and the outcome.

“I organized this event to unite students and have a fun time. It was a great opportunity for students to interact, have fun, and have a great time,” Lopez-Hernandez said. “It was a big success; throughout the year we’ve been succeeding with the increase of events which we really enjoy, and students can always participate in all the events throughout Washburn giving away free prices students because students love free stuff. It was also very difficult to organize because it was one of the biggest events here in Washburn making sure everything is accounted for but it was an amazing accomplishment with my team,” Lopez-Hernandez said.

The event’s huge impact and the precious recollections it produced were proof that creativity and careful planning paid off.

CAB’s directors gave away prizes as the evening came to an end, bringing even more excitement and gratitude to the occasion.

Students were profoundly reminded by this amazing occasion that their experiences, whether they were on the dance floor or at the poker table, were extraordinary. It feels like life itself is worth living again. Their hearts are full of the treasured memories of this amazing night, the unshakable sense of solidarity they were raised with at the institution will serve as their beacon of hope as they move forward.

A lasting reminder of the strength of coming together and creating enduring memories, the Homecoming dance, with its rich tapestry of events, will always be impressed in the collective memory of the Washburn community.

Edited by Jayme Thompson and LeSha’ Davis.