Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

HOMECOMING: Students show off their talents at Variety Show

On Tuesday, Oct. 24, eight students exhibited their talents to other students in the Washburn A/B room for the Rising Stars Variety Show. The nominations for Ichabod of Honor were also announced to the audience.

This year’s acts featured a mix of singing, poetry and dance. Olumide Adams, a junior political science major, was a walk-on person at the end of the show who wanted to show off his poetry skills.

There were three judges that were from different areas of Washburn, such as Teresa Clounch, associate vice president for student life and dean of students diversity officer.

“It was a fun opportunity to see students and their talent,” Clounch said.

The acts had the opportunity to compete for gift cards. The top three place winners were:

Haley Carlin, a senior marketing major, and Marin Schwarz, a junior pre-law and philosophy major, in first place, who sang a song by Dolly Parton. Second was JoAnna Marks, a junior political science major, who recited poetry called “My Body Had Not Been My Own.” Third was Roni Simeon, a sophomore in kinesiology, who sang a mashup of songs.

Throughout the night, the Ichabod of Honor nominees were announced. Ichabods of Honor were nominated by a variety of organizations on campus. The top 10 finalists for this year were:

McKayla Galliart, a senior in forensic science – nominated by Alpha Phi
Luiz Alcantara, a senior in psychology – nominated by Zeta Tau Alpha
Rhen Calhoon, a junior in biology – nominated by Delta Gamma
Liz Duvall, a senior in communications – nominated by Washburn’s Swim and Dive Club
Philip Canady, a senior in business – nominated by Alpha Phi
Bryce Liedtke, a senior in biology and Spanish – nominated by Washburn University’s Pre-Health Club
Chloe Chaffin, a senior in political science – nominated by Delta Gamma
Bella Wood, a junior in integrated studies – nominated by Washburn Student Government Association
Lily Thompson, a senior in psychology – nominated by Leadership Institute
Lesley Ayala, a senior in integrated studies – nominated by Sigma Lambda Gamma

“It’s incredible to see the recognition for the people who are doing really great work for Topeka and not just for Washburn,” Alcantara said.

The winners of the Ichabod of Honor are announced during halftime at the football game Saturday, Oct. 29, in Yager Stadium.

Edited by Jayme Thompson and Jeremy Ford