HOMECOMING: Washburn officially welcomes first female president, JuliAnn Mazachek

Washburn University inaugurated JuliAnn Mazachek as the first female president of the university Friday, Oct. 27, in Lee Arena. She became the 15th president of Washburn University as she was welcomed back home at the end of homecoming week.

“As she continues in this new role at Washburn University, faculty members have a new opportunity to work together shaping how Washburn educates students, supports faculty and staff and continues to help us develop our communities,” said Tonya Ricklefs, associate professor of social work. “Welcome home Dr. Mazachek, we are so glad you’re here.”

Lee Arena was full of various groups eager to watch the inauguration. Washburn was joined with the Alumni Association, Kansas Board of Regents, Topeka Mayor Mike Padilla as well as several others.

“I think it’s a wonderful thing, and her being the first female president shows a lot about this university as well. I think she can accomplish great things,” said Rensk Ubachs, sophomore psychology major.

Before getting a chance to speak, Mazachek was honored with a presidential medallion to represent her new role as president of Washburn University.

There was also a familiar face in the audience as Washburn’s former president, Jerry Farley, was in attendance. Farley was the president directly before Mazachek.

“This is a great institution because of those who have come before us. Washburn was transformed under President Emeritus Dr. Jerry Farley’s leadership,” Mazachek said. “Thank you for your 25 years of service and leadership and for ensuring such a strong foundation in which we can build the future. What a difference you’ve made here.”

In her speech, Mazachek thanked several groups for being there and for their contributions. She also gave warm regards to her family, some of whom live in Japan and were up at 5 a.m. to watch her inauguration virtually. It was an extra special day as her inauguration day happened to be her dad’s birthday.

“Another super special shoutout, happy 85th birthday dad, I love you,” Mazachek said.

While she spoke about numerous family members, her speech became especially heartfelt when she thanked her husband, Keith, for his support.

“Together we are an amazing team. None of this would be possible without your love and partnership. Thank you my most precious friend, love you dearly,” Mazachek said.

Washburn students are looking forward to seeing the impact Mazachek will make on the university and what ideas she will integrate.

“I think she’s got a lot of great policies. I’m excited to see where she’s going to be pushing the university, where she’s going to be guiding us, and I wanted to hear what she had to say,” said George Burdick, junior political science major.

Students are especially excited for what Mazachek will bring to the university both as a president as well as a role model for female empowerment.

“I’m all for a woman in power. It’s nice to see an improvement in power, especially in places they weren’t before, kind of continuously gives me hope,” said Bryanna Stewart, freshman biochemistry major.

Mazachek left the inauguration as sparklers were lit on opposite sides of the pathway. Her grand exit is similar to the grand history she’s part of.

“I think it’s fantastic. I think like ‘it’s about time’ but also go back 50 years and this probably would’ve been at the very least, far less likely, if not impossible,” Burdick said.

A reception followed the inauguration. Cookies were available for all the participants and there was a photo set up for pictures with Washburn’s new president.

Oct. 27 will be a day remembered by all who attended as history was made.

Edited by Jeremy Ford and Aja Carter