Washburn’s School of Nursing provides an annual armor against influenza

Students+get+vaccinated+to+prevent+influenza.+The+School+of+Nursing+organized+a+spot+in+the+Mabee+Library+for+students+to+recieve+their+shots.++
Babina Shrees Magar
Students get vaccinated to prevent influenza. The School of Nursing organized a spot in the Mabee Library for students to recieve their shots.

Oct. 12, 2023, the School of Nursing organized the Flu shot Immunization Initiative. Every year as flu season approaches, the School of Nursing recommends getting an annual flu shot to prevent the flu from spreading around campus. Flu shots help prevent the flu during the entire flu season.

The flu shot is not just about avoiding a seasonal illness, it is a multifaceted tool that contributes to individual well-being and the advancement of healthcare practices.

“Flu Shot is important as the main goal of this is to avoid the infection of the flu altogether. While getting the vaccine, the student might even catch a flu which will help the body to create an antibody to fight,” said Alexi Liamas, junior nursing major.

The program started at 11 a.m. and lasted until 1 p.m. With getting an annual flu shot, students are making a proactive, long-lasting investment in their health.

The flu is a common respiratory illness brought on by influenza viruses that can sometimes spread to the lungs as well as the nose and throat. Serious side effects from the flu might include pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma and hospitalization.

“This process is quick and provides protection for fall and winter. We are organizing this event during flu season to help keep our community vaccinated and healthy,” said Riley Painter, senior nursing major.

Many students waited in a queue for their flu shot vaccine. Since the process was short, students didn’t have to wait long. Some were nervous of the injection while others weren’t. Several nursing students were also present.

In addition, to protect students from the influenza virus for the upcoming: winter season, the School of Nursing vaccine held this event.

Getting this shot helps us gradually develop immunity. It’s a small step that can help prevent illness and reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization.

To learn more about the School of Nursing and the flu vaccine, click here. Student may also visit the Student Health Services in Morgan Hall room 140 for any health concerns.

Edited by Aja Carter and Jeremy Ford