International students share their overall experience at Washburn

International+students+on+campus+foster+a+diverse+community.+This+culture+has+created+an+inclusive+and+dynamic+environment+that+promotes+learning.+
Courtesy of Freepik.com
International students on campus foster a diverse community. This culture has created an inclusive and dynamic environment that promotes learning.

Exploring culture through international students can foster greater understanding, empathy and appreciation for the richness of diversity in our global society. It is a way to gain insight into different parts of the globe. International students bring a wealth of cultural diversity, customs and traditions with them.

Washburn University has a multicultural society offering a vibrant and dynamic environment for embracing and celebrating diversity on campus.

“I feel at ease here, and the people are welcoming and hospitable,” said Hinata Isobe, junior finance major from Japan.

They also offer unique perspectives and invaluable contributions to the academic and social fabric of the institution.

Their presence enriches the campus’ educational experience by infusing classrooms with a rich tapestry of thoughts. Through discussion and interaction with peers from various backgrounds, students gain a more comprehensive understanding of complex issues, fostering critical thinking and intellectual growth.

Washburn has created a space for people of all cultures. Aichata Nishimura, sophomore nursing major from Japan, talked about her experience on campus.

“The people here are incredibly kind, helpful, friendly and always willing to assist at any time or situation when any students need help. The university has a comforting, homey atmosphere,” Nishimura said. “It is easy to get used to here.”

Culture creates a dynamic and inclusive environment that promotes learning, understanding and cultural exchange.

Understanding and appreciating different cultures are critical life skills. By exploring diverse cultures students develop cultural competence, adaptability and a genuine appreciation for the nuances of various traditions and belief systems.

International students are not merely a matter of demographic diversity. It is the catalyst for personal and societal growth.

It sends a powerful message that all students, regardless of their background, are valued members of the university community.

“Connecting with people is very easy, as people here are extremely supportive and approachable,” said Leah Ekren, freshman engineering major from Turkey.

International students play a crucial role in creating a diverse, inclusive and globally engaged community. Their presence embraces the educational experience for everyone and prepares students for an increasingly interconnected world.

Washburn University welcomes international students with open arms, they embrace the richness of culture, tradition that international students bring to their institution. It not only makes Washburn the center of learning but also bridges to a more interconnected and understanding world.

Edited by Aja Carter and Sydney Peterson