WSGA reviews Homecoming plans and flu shots

Larissa Morgan
Members of the Washburn Student Government Association listen intently to Antonio Martinez, president of WSGA, talk about Homecoming. They discussed different functions that they could participate in.

On Wednesday, Sept. 27, the Washburn Student Government Association held their weekly meeting in the Kansas Room.

Health and Wellness director, Sierra Jeter, reported that there will be funding going to Washburn Student Counseling Service for upcoming advocacy months and also talked about flu shots in the Union.

“It’s very important, given the history of this time of year when the weather gets colder,” Jeter said.

President Antonio Martinez and Eric Grospitch, WSGA’s advisor and vice president for Student Life, talked about the record breaking incoming freshman students and transfer students number.

Martinez also talked about homecoming and how WSGA could participate in the festivities.

“We want to be more prevalent on campus and show we have just as much spirit and that we are just like everyone else on campus,” Martinez said

Speakers from student organizations came to the meeting to ask for funds for homecoming projects, meetings and their upcoming events.

Organizations that requested were Washburn Alpha Phi, Club Mathematica, the Hispanic American Leadership Organization, Kinesiology Club, the Washburn Women in STEM, Washburn University Low Brass Society and Washburn University Trumpet Association.

The next meeting will be Oct. 11 and it is an open to all students.

Edited by Aja Carter and LeSha’ Davis