New Washburn School of Law provides a modern environment for education

Washburn has undergone many renovations throughout the years to create an efficient space for students to enjoy and receive the best education. One of Washburn’s most recent projects was the building of the new Washburn School of Law.

On July 31, Washburn’s new law school had its ribbon-cutting and it was opened up to students and faculty.
The construction for the building began in 2021, costing about $33 million dollars which was mostly funded by donors outside of Washburn, but also Law faculty and staff.

According to the Washburn University School of Law website, the decision to build a new law school was necessary. The former building began to create challenges that remodeling may not have fixed. When looking at the cost estimates between remodeling and rebuilding the costs were similar, so they began fundraising for a new building.

Jeffrey Jackson, interim dean and professor of law, described his reaction when told the new law school would be built.

“Our big reaction was ‘well that’s going to be amazing,’” Jackson said. “We really thought that our education has always been first grade. The old building was an OK building, but it was configured for the way that law was taught in 1969.”

Jackson explained how 1731 Plass had been built with the idea that students would be in a big classroom while the professor would lecture. Being made over 50 years ago, the classes were outdated and no longer worked for their modern style of teaching.

The new building now provides flexibility and contains all of the resources to teach students effectively.

The new Washburn School of Law building was made with grand features such as courtrooms, classrooms with mobile desks and chairs as well as high-tech projectors. Some classrooms also have cameras that records lessons for students who may not be able to attend class in-person.

In addition to the new classrooms, there is a cafe/store which is being set up with a self-checkout system. Students are also serviced with a kitchen where they can store and warm up their meals.

There is also an outdoor plaza honoring Robert Dole, a major senator who represented Kansas in the U.S. Congress for 35 years.

The law school also honors key people and history from 1850-1916. A mural on the top floor highlights people who inspired and worked towards change in the Brown v. Board case. It also showcases key points of history during the time. To learn more about the mural click here.

Also, the Michael C. Manning Trial Courtroom, includes reproductions of the light fixtures that were in the United States District Court during the Brown v. Board case.

Law students seem to be excited about the change in buildings. Grace Reiman, second year law student, shared her thoughts on the building.

“It’s super nice, it’s very updated compared to where we were. It is a little bit smaller, but also it’s kind of nice because you get to see a lot of people that we never used to see in the old building because you could kind of hide in the old building,” Reiman said.

She also added her favorite feature of the new law school.

“The windows. I absolutely love how much natural light is in this building and all of our classrooms for the most part have windows,” Reiman said.

Andrew Wiens, second year law student, also weighed in on his favorite feature of the new law school.

“I’d say the double projectors, they got a lot of screens in the classrooms,” Wiens said.

Students explained since the change their class formats did not change, apart from the new technology and desks.

However, some were disappointed about the lack of study areas. With a smaller space, students no longer have as many spaces to study.

“There’s not enough study spaces, but that’s kind of getting figured out,” said Connor Balthazor, second year law student.

As far as 1731 Plass, updates are underway. The education department will soon be moved into the former law school. Also, according to JuliAnn Mazachek, Washburn’s president, there are plans to move Mabee Library, including Student Success, Leadership Link and the honors program into 1731 Plass. These changes are looking to be made by fall 2024.

To view the Washburn School of Law, take the virtual tour here.

Edited by LeSha’ Davis and Larissa Morgan