Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Model United Nations of Washburn kicks off its second semester

Model+United+Nations+of+Washburn++managers+get+prepare+to+start+their+presentation+meeting.+MUNW+started+its+last+semester+and+is+in+full+swing+with+events+and+conferences+to+come+in+its+this+semester.+
Gabrielle Van Sickle
Model United Nations of Washburn managers get prepare to start their presentation meeting. MUNW started its last semester and is in full swing with events and conferences to come in its this semester.

Model United Nations of Washburn is a student organization that came into effect last semester and is a simulation of the United Nations.

Students have the opportunity to play as delegates from other countries in an attempt to solve global topics that include climate change and overall human rights.

“It really gives you the opportunity to connect and grow with people,” said Elizabeth Cox, sophomore political science major.

Cox is the social media manager for MUNW. She manages its Instagram, posting all of the most current information and informing people on how to keep up with certain meetings.

“I personally think people should join Model U.N. mainly for the experience. You get to build so many skills such as leadership, technical writing and research and you also get to travel and have fun,” Cox said.

MUNW has an upcoming trip to Germany Nov. 18. It will be its first major conference of this semester. As many as eight students can go and will be there for six days.

March 1-5, 2024, the organization will attend another conference that will be held in New York City, NY. Any number of students can participate in this travel opportunity.

When attending these conferences, MUNW will be given a specific country to defend. The members have to essentially become that country and express all of the issues it is specifically facing. While putting themselves in those shoes, they have to cooperate with MUNs from other universities who are also defending their given country.

“I love collaborating with other people, so collaborating with other students from around the world really helps me get that greater insight,” Cox said.

Community and reaching out to many people becomes a huge aspect in the eyes of MUNW.

“All of us gather and also work together. We enjoyably work on ourselves to reach out to these different communities,” said Ethan Matthias, junior political science major.

Matthias is the treasurer for MUNW. In addition to his position, there are many other managers who help coordinate this club.

“Nolan Meyer is our president, our vice president is Emma Anderson and we have Chloe Chaffin as our recruitment chair,” Cox said.

MUNW has just recently become a registered Washburn organization and has multiple ideas for its future.

“I would hope we go to every single competition known to man and maybe host a yearly college conference,” Matthias said.

If interested in joining MUNW, follow them @washburn.mun on Instagram.

Edited by LeSha’ Davis and Karli Bayliss