Communication department hosts ‘Washburn Nall Speak Off’

All participants take a picture together at the end of the Nall Speak Off. It was held Nov. 9.

With informative speeches on topics ranging from importance of mental health education to the modern Halloween, students from a public speaking class gave a factual session Nov. 9 in Henderson Learning Center.

The final six speakers were first nominated by their own class and then competed in preliminary rounds to become finalists.

The event was funded by the North family and had an impressive judging panel with Jim Schnabel, professor of communication studies, Stephanie Selvage, administrative specialist in communication studies, Jeffrey Jackson, interim dean of the School of Law, and Logan Michael, the former winner of the speak-off.

The event started with a speech on “Comprehensive Sex Education” where Lucas Cave, freshman in radiologic technology, talked about the importance and impacts of it on this generation.

“High schoolers learn about contraception, the emotional effects of sexual activity and the ability to make safe informed choices about sex, and CSE allows for lifelong understanding of physical health relationships and emotional well-being,” Cave said.

Focusing on the effects of behavior charts on mental health of children and the importance of teaching the significance of it at school level, Alea Brian, from Seaman High School, and Kaylynn Kramer, freshman in business and finance, gave speeches based on facts and statistics. They emphasized on how the younger generation is deprived of awareness on mental health despite the increasing number of mental health problems among people.

“The topics were very informative and diverse. Undoubtedly, anyone present would have learned a thing or two. The speakers used credible sources to support their presentation, which is essential in informative speeches and information sharing,” said Adebanke Adebayo, assistant professor of communication studies.

Ben Amen, sophomore in nursing, won the speak-off by presenting information regarding the wolf population in the Yellowstone ecosystem. Other speakers were Tyler Smith, sophomore in English who presented information about doppelgangers and modern Halloween, and Abigail Fox, a junior in accounting. With the use of slides as well as a confident delivery, the speakers could express the information more effectively to the audience.

“‘The Nall Speak Off’ made me ‘Washburn proud.’ It was such a fantastic experience. I would encourage students to attend at least one ‘Nall Speak Off’ before graduating from Washburn,” Adebayo said.

Overall, the event gave students the opportunity to learn and understand more about diverse topics.

Edited by Aja Carter, Rakesh Swarnakar, Simran Shrestha