Yell Like Hell gives WU students, organizations chance to show spirit

Washburn sports teams, clubs, fraternities, sororities and Top Bod candidates danced for a loud crowd at the annual Yell Like Hell Homecoming pep rally Thursday, Oct. 20.

Lee Arena’s western stands were packed as the cheer team kicked off the night with aerial acrobatics, complex towers and synchronized backflips.

Shayden Hanes, president of Washburn Student Government Association, introduced the Top Bod candidates and interviewed them one-on-one so voters could get to know them a little better.

Quinn Leffingwell, vice-president of WSGA, was asked about the worst fashion decision he ever made.

“Bright yellow shoes, bright green socks, my shorts were green and my shirt was red,” Leffingwell answered. “But I’m also colorblind, so it matched to me.”

The volleyball team won in the athletics category by performing a comical medley as popular superheroes, which featured an “invisible” stage tech assisting with special effects.

Samantha Moburg, junior in pre-law and outside hitter for the team, is currently sidelined with an injury from two weeks against Fort Hays State, but joined the team on the floor with a knee scooter and a minor role.

“We’d only practiced twice,” Moburg said. “So it was pretty impressive that we threw it together that fast.”

Between dances and a special guest performance from the Topeka High School Step Team, the Top Bod candidates competed for points in challenging games, like emptying a pack of golf balls around their waist by shaking.

The other winners of the night were the Black Student Union in the organization category, and Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Tau Alpha in the fraternity/sorority category.

Students’ voting window for Top Bods closed Friday, Oct. 21, at 1 p.m. Liz Duvall, junior Student Life intern and Homecoming 2022 organizer, finalized the results which were announced at the football game Saturday, Oct. 22.

“It’s absolutely amazing seeing how many people we can get out. We’ve been planning this since June,” Duvall said. “I’d like to thank Eric Grospitch, who has been an absolutely amazing mentor, and everybody who has been a part of our committee, as well as my mom and my dad, who have been a huge support.”

The two Top Bods, Analisa Chavez-Munoz and Dylan Grospith, were crowned during halftime. Other students in the running were Carlos Cedillo-Silva, Chloe Chaffin, Sierra Jeter, Hayden Kalp, Quinn Leffingwell, Koy Olberding, Jenna Smithson and Zachary Yelland.

Edited by Simran Shrestha, Glorianna Noland