Memories made in college last a lifetime

Samantha+Peters

photo by Shalynn Long

Samantha Peters

As a college student, it is often believed that studying is the most important part of success. Although studying is very crucial to graduation, it is not the only thing that will help you during your college journey. Getting involved on campus is very beneficial to the college experience. When you join a student organization, participate in campus activities or socialize with other students off campus, it can not only increase your social skills but also increase productivity, ultimately leading to higher chances of graduation.
According to an article by Kimberly Yavorski, “Students who join activities are better at managing time and juggling responsibilities.” So, as a Washburn Ichabod, I encourage you to get out of your dorms and comfort zones and have fun. College is where the best memories are made. I can assure you that there will be days when your assignments are due, you are tired and it feels like the world is falling apart. Times like these are when your extracurricular organizations and friends come in who will be there to support you every step of the way.
The biggest challenge to the process is finding an organization that you want to become a part of. The Office of Student Involvement and Development is a great place to start, and they will guide you in finding the perfect organization. If you have a desire to make an impact on campus using your creative abilities by creating content, designing, writing and much more, you can join Washburn’s Student Media.
Student Media is an organization made up of students from all walks of life who keep students informed about activities on and off campus. Don’t just take my word for it; see it for yourself. Please remember that college is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and a place where memories can be made that will last a lifetime. You deserve to do more than just study.

edited by LeSha’ Davis, Justin Shepard