MGC showcases multicultural Greek life to students

Students meet sorority and fraternity representatives to learn more about Greek life. Meet the Greeks was held on Friday Aug. 26.

On Friday, Aug. 26 in the Memorial Union, the Multicultural Greek Council held “Meet the Greeks”, an event for students to learn more about multicultural sororities and fraternities.

The event consisted of nine sororities and fraternities, including Alpha Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta, Phi Beta Sigma, Sigma Lambda Gamma, Kappa Alpha Psi, Gamma Phi Omega, Delta Sigma Theta, Alpha Phi Alpha and Omega Psi Phi.

Of these organizations, Kappa Alpha Psi, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Gamma Phi Omega, Sigma Lambda Gamma and Zeta Phi Beta each have chapters on campus. Other organizations are not currently on campus, but students are still invited to join them as many chapters were founded in nearby states.

Each organization had a table where students could visit, grab a flier and speak one-on-one with a representative. Later, the representatives gave a presentation about their respective organizations and why students should join.

Erin Hicks, representative for Alpha Kappa Alpha and president of the Alpha Iota Omega chapter of Topeka, was excited to begin her presentation and explain why her sorority stands out.

“We’re number one. We’re the first; that’s what makes us stand out,” said Hicks, referring to Alpha Kappa Alpha being the first intercollegiate Black sorority.

Alex Maryman, representative for Phi Beta Sigma, also expressed why his fraternity was different from others.

“What sets us apart is, honestly, we just want you to be yourself. When you come in, we want you to grow. So basically, however you come in, we want to know more about you personally. Brotherhood is our biggest thing, and fellowship,” said Maryman. “We’ll make sure you get an education and do what you need to do, but we want to find your weaknesses, blossom those and make them become better. We want those to build up and we want you to be strengthened in all areas.”

Being a multicultural event, many representatives found it important to touch on why having multicultural sororities and fraternities is imperative. Alex Seifert, vice president of Gamma Phi Omega and junior in social work and trauma recovery, expressed her thoughts on the matter.

“For me, it was really important to be able to see people who look like me or people who’ve had the same lived experiences as me, especially as a younger Latina woman. I didn’t know that there were spaces like this for me,” said Seifert.

Seifert was against Greek until she met the Divine Nine, which allowed her to see more representation in sororities and fraternities on campus.

Hicks also added her take on multicultural organizations.

“It’s a place for us to come together and to be safe and express our concerns, but most of all to give back to the community, whatever that may look like. If that’s donations to a family that’s in need, if that is training and developing young ladies and young men to be leaders in their communities-that’s what we’re going to do,” said Hicks.

At the end of the event, students were encouraged to ask questions and show interest in a fraternity or sorority.

Each of these organizations invites all students to visit their websites to learn more about them and, if interested, join.

Edited by Justin Shepard, Alijah McCracken