Softball blows past Bearcats in Saturday sweep, moves to 18-0 at home

Kohichiro Yamada

Washburn Autymn Schreiner (2) throws a ball April 2, 2022, in Topeka, Kansas. Schreiner had one assist and one putout in game one of the day.

Washburn softball entered its doubleheader against Northwest Missouri State undefeated with a perfect 16-0 record at home on the year. They would stay that way, picking up a pair of wins over the Bearcats April 2.

The 9-1 and 8-4 victories moved the Ichabods to 28-11 on the season with the current winning streak extending to eight games.

“You think about it, you started out 2-6, so we’re happy with where we are,” said head coach Brenda Holiday. “We just know how tough this conference is, and we know we’ll have our hands full on the road next weekend. It’s just about continuing to get a little better every week.”

Washburn moved to 28-11 overall with the wins, keeping the 18-0 home record intact as they look to keep pace in the conference standings with the regular season winding down.

As per usual, sophomore Jaycee Ginter began the day pitching for the Ichabods, tossing a scoreless first two innings.

Washburn was quiet offensively in the first inning against the 6-27 Bearcats, but picked up pace the second time up. Two walks and a hit loaded the bases for junior right fielder Maddie Stipsits, who was hit by a pitch, bringing home the first run of the game.

Next up, sophomore third baseman Marrit Mead lined a triple to the right field wall, clearing the bases and putting the Ichabods up 4-0 after two.

Miscommunication in the outfield allowed Northwest Missouri State to lead off the third inning with a double. A two-out single would bring home the run, putting the Bearcats on the board.

Both team’s bats stayed quiet until the fifth inning when a single and stolen base by Mead put her in scoring position. Ginter delivered a single into center field to make the deficit four again.

In the circle Ginter kept Northwest Missouri State bats quiet through the sixth inning, striking out eight and only allowing two hits. Washburn’s offense kept rolling in the bottom of the inning, with sophomore shortstop Autymn Schreiner knocking in the first run with a single.

A few batters later, Mead scored Schreiner with a single of her own, making the score 7-1. Sophomore left fielder Paige Robbins followed with another single, scoring two more runs to make the score 9-1, giving the Ichabods a walk-off run-rule victory in game one.

Ginter improved her record to 19-3 while Mead led the way offensively with three hits and four RBIs.

Junior Ashlie Thissen cruised through the top of the first inning in game two, setting up the offense in the bottom half of the inning.

At the plate, Mead was hit by a pitch and stole second base while a single from Robbins put runners on the corners. Ginter brought both home with a double into left field.

Freshman first baseman Jaden LaBarge singled to bring Ginter home and make it 3-0. With two outs, sophomore center fielder Kimi Patterson singled to bring home another run completing the four-run opening frame.

The Bearcats got two runs back in the second inning with a walk and a single off Thissen, setting up a double that scored both. Thissen was replaced in the circle by senior Raegen Hamm who got the final out of the frame.

Mead continued her hot day with a double in the second inning, scoring on a double into right field by Robbins. Ginter made it three in a row with a double of her own, scoring Robbins to make it 6-2 after two frames.

Northwest Missouri State picked up a solo home run in the third off of Hamm, but the lead remained at three. The lead would grow in the bottom of the inning with another double from Robbins, scoring Patterson who reached on an error.

Senior designated player Ashton Friend hit a foul ball sacrifice fly to score Mead who had been hit earlier in the inning. Mead’s run made the game 8-3.

Both team’s bats went quiet after that, with the next run coming from the Bearcats in the sixth inning after a double, error and sacrifice fly. The unearned run did not affect Hamm’s statline as she finished her day throwing 4 ⅓ innings, striking out six and allowing only one run.

Ginter came on in the top of the seventh, allowing a hit and a walk before retiring Northwest Missouri State to finish off the 8-4 victory.

“We do a lot of things well,” Holaday said. “We just have a few things we need to clean up for sure.”

Hamm picked up the game two win, moving to 8-6 on the year. Ginter had two hits and drove in three runs at the plate while Robbins led all batters with three hits. Mead added two hits, scoring three runs.

The Ichabods moved to 10-2 in MIAA play after the sweep. They will be on the road next weekend, beginning with a doubleheader with Fort Hays State April 8.

Edited by Glorianna Noland, Ellie Walker, Simran Shrestha