Baseball blows past Bearcats in 10-1 win

Kyle Manthe

Freshman Trevor McCollum (right) and junior Shane Morrow (middle) pick up senior Tyler Clark-Chiapparelli in celebration after the game March 15, 2022. Washburn defeated Northwest Missouri State 10-1 in the game.

After losing a series for the first time all season over the weekend, Washburn baseball jumped right into action with a one game matchup against Northwest Missouri State March 15.

The Ichabods took control early and did not look back, defeating the Bearcats 10-1 to rebound from the series loss.

“Our team loves playing at home and getting out in front of the fanatics here at Falley and enjoy it,” said head coach Harley Douglas. “Being able to get back to the friendly confines it was nice to get out here and let our pitchers go to work a little bit.”

The win moved the team’s record to 17-6 on the season and 7-1 at home.

“We love pitching at home at Falley, we played in some rough conditions this weekend (and) that kind of aided a few of the home runs there but we love pitching here and we just wanted to keep that momentum rolling,” said senior pitcher Charlie Kiefer.

Washburn’s offense got going early with three hits in the first inning. The first came from senior second baseman Tyler Clark-Chiapparelli who tripled to lead-off the inning before scoring on a wild pitch.

A single from senior third baseman Zion Bowlin scored a second run to put the Ichabods up 2-0 after an inning of play.

“We like the top of our lineup, Tyler has been really good up there for us and so has Cal (Watkins). If they can get on base and get things going for Parker and Zion and Brett Ingram and even Connor Scott … those guys are drive in runs for us,” Douglas said.

Kiefer was on the mound starting for Washburn and after a scoreless first inning he hit two batters in the second inning before giving up a double that would surrender a run, cutting the lead in half.

Three straight hits began in the bottom of the second for the Ichabods. A run scored after a throwing error by Northwest Missouri attempting to throw out Clark-Chiapparelli after a bunt single. Junior shortstop Cal Watkins grounded out to pick up a second run and make it a 4-1 ballgame after two.

The scoring did not stop in the third inning, with three straight hits starting the inning again. The third came from sophomore center fielder Connor Scott, plating one run. Freshman left fielder Trevor McCollum knocked in two more with a double down the left field line, putting the Ichabods up by six.

Kiefer cruised through the rest of his outing, throwing four innings allowing only one run on two hits and striking out two.

“I thought I felt pretty good except for the three plunked batters,” Kiefer said, laughing. “Everything was really working for me, fastball, changeup, curveball and I was just trying to pound the zone the best I could.”

Freshman Wyatt Hardy took over on the mound in the fifth inning and set down the Bearcats without allowing a hit.

As Washburn’s offense stayed quiet through the middle innings Hardy continued to roll, retiring nine of the first 11 batters he faced.

In the bottom of the seventh a walk, error and single from Bowlin loaded the bases with no outs. Senior designated hitter Kros Bay took advantage, knocking in one run on a ground ball and he would reach himself on an error.

McCollum knocked in his third run of the day with a sacrifice fly into center field to make it 9-1 after seven.

Sophomore Cole Warner took over pitching responsibilities in the eighth inning and continued the strong bullpen performance, allowing no runs and striking out one.

Another run was knocked in for the Ichabods in the bottom of the eighth inning with a double into left field from junior right fielder Shane Morrow to make it a nine-run game. Senior Britt Brown came on in the top of the ninth and retired all three batters to complete the 10-1 win.

Kiefer picked up the win for the game, moving to 3-1 on the season. Offensively, McCollum knocked in three RBI’s on two hits while both Bowlin and Clark-Chiapparelli had three hits as the team scored 10 runs for a third straight game.

“This is easily probably since my first or second year here the best offense we have had … they really look for pitches to hammer and go get and they get themselves into good counts to go and do so,” Douglas said. “It’s been fun, we are never out of a game.”

The Ichabods moved to 8-2 in MIAA play on the year as the team picked up its second straight win.

Washburn will be on the road for a three game series against Missouri Southern beginning Saturday, March 19.

Edited by: Alyssa Storm, Simran Shrestha