Fun fills the union during Scorch on the Porch

Get jazzy: The trio preforms a cover of “Ain’t Miss Behavin’”. Live Music was provided by Baby J.

Washburn University celebrated Homecoming with Scorch on the Porch held on Oct. 27 and featuring a roaring 20s theme.

Students celebrated the annual “Scorch on the Porch” inside the Memorial Union this year. Typically, the event is held outside on the lawn, but this year it couldn’t happen that way because of the heavy rainfall all day.

In the annual Scorch on the Porch event students of different clubs and organizations participate in a hat judging contest where each table has a unique hat presented. Students got to enjoy free food, which this year included varieties of pizza, cookies, and drinks, all of which was accompanied by some live jazz music. Students also received different types of giveaways like food cards and accessories like keyrings. Students got to learn about the organizations and the clubs in detail that had tables set up..

“I feel happy to see the events happening again, and students enjoying this year, unlike last time because of the COVID-19,” said Liz Tyszko, a junior forensic investment major. The event was held with necessary precautions taken to follow the guidelines of the university for the COVID-19.

“Being an international student, I got to see and experience the authentic American college culture (of) homecoming which I have heard and watched from the movies,” said Ajar Basnet, a junior majoring in finance and actuarial science.

One creative attraction came from the WSGA organization, which set up a ball pit where visitors could unwind by playing in a small hand-made pool full of balls. The idea was proposed by the Homecoming Director Ariel Smith.

All in all, it was a successful turnout and a fun event for those that attended.

Edited by: Ellie Walker, Simran Shrestha, Kyle Manthe