Washburn Filmmakers Association to host Sev Ohanian, award winning producer

Sev Ohanian, award-winning producer, and producer of “Judas and the Black Messiah,” will be speaking to the Washburn Filmmakers Association (WFA) via Zoom on May 27 at 4 p.m.

Although the event is hosted by WFA, it is free and open to the public. Those who wish to attend must sign up via eventbrite.

Matthew Nyquist, assistant professor of mass media at Washburn University, was able to create this opportunity for students because of his connection with Ohanian through the University of Southern California.

“I’m excited to have Sev speak to students because he brings direct, high level industry experience from the producing and development area. Getting projects off the ground is one of the most difficult aspects of being a filmmaker and hearing it from a Sundance award winner will be phenomenal,” Nyquist said.

Ohanian is an Armenian-American producer and screenwriter, whose most notable work includes “Run” and “Searching.” His most recent accomplishments include working as the executive producer for “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” which stars LeBron James and is set to release in July, and as the executive producer for “Creed III,” which stars Michael B. Jordan and is set to release in 2022. Ohanian is also working as the producer for “Searching 2.”

A full list of Ohanian’s work and achievements can be found on IMDb.

To add to his impressive work experience, Ohanian has received many awards and recognitions. In 2013, Ohanian won Breakthrough Filmmaker of the Year at the Arpa International Film Festival. In 2018, Ohanian won the Sundance Institute/Amazon Studios Producers Award and the Alfred P. Sloan Feature Film Prize for “Searching.”

Ohanian has been named one of 11 Innovators Changing Hollywood by The Wrap, alongside Angelina Jolie and Jimmy Fallon, and serves as an adjunct professor at USC.

In 2018, Ohanian co-founded Proximity Production Company with Ryan Coogler, Zinzi Coogler, Ludwig Göransson, Archie Davis, and Peter Nicks, “with a mission to create event-driven feature films, television, soundtracks, and podcasts that look to bring audiences closer together through stories involving often-overlooked subject matters.”

According to Variety.com, “Proximity has already entered into a five-year overall exclusive television deal with The Walt Disney Co., which includes producing a new Marvel Studios series based on “Black Panther’s” Kingdom of Wakanda for Disney Plus.”

eventbrite link

Edited by: Crystal Hendrix, Katrina Johnson