Anna-Marie Spills the Tea: Thankful

Spilling tea: Anna-Marie Lauppe is graduate student getting psychology. She writes this column to share her beliefs with the Washburn community.

Anna-Marie Lauppe

It has been a long school year. Now that the end is here I couldn’t be more thankful.

It occurred to me earlier this week that with everything that has gone on this year it might be harder to find obvious things to be thankful for. However, on the flip side of that, when everything is falling apart it can be easier to identify the things that hold a person together.

If this year it was harder for you to find something to be thankful for, read on, and feel free to use one of mine. If this year you feel super thankful for everything then congratulations, feel free to tell me what I’ve missed.

The first thing I think most people could be thankful for are the healthcare workers who have been going above and beyond to take care of everyone who comes through their doors. If this pandemic has been hard on all of us who don’t have direct contact with the medical field I can’t imagine how those who are on the “front lines” have been doing.

The second thing I think most people could be thankful for is the health of themselves and others. With the rising number of cases and casualties most of us have had our lives touched by COVID-19 in one way or another. It makes one a lot more thankful for their health or the health of one’s family and friends. For those that have lost something during this time or due to this illness, I offer my sincerest condolences and I hope your holiday season is filled with a lot of love and support.

The third thing I am thankful for is having a University administration who cares about our safety. I know it sucks that graduation had to be cancelled. I am sorry to all Fall 2020 graduates, you all deserved to walk that stage. Just remember you have an ally in those that went before you. The Spring 2020 graduates feel your pain. This being said, it isn’t the University’s fault COVID cases continue to rise. They held out as long as they could on a decision and personally I am glad they chose our safety. My momma always used to say, “what you want and what you get are two different things” and I for one finally see how that applies to this situation.

The final thing I think most people at Washburn should be thankful for is getting through this school year. Whether you came through it kicking and screaming or you felt this was the easiest semester of your life, you got through it. This semester is all about celebrating the little wins and it is all downhill from here. All that is left is to study for your finals, and push yourself for two more weeks. You’ve come too far to give up now.

These are a few things I think everyone could potentially be thankful for as we wrap up this year. There are a lot of things not on this list I am thankful for like my family, friends, professors, and everyone else who works at the university. When it comes down to it we all have to make our own lists. We all need to come up with what we are thankful for. We don’t want to be sucked into a negative place during the most wonderful time of the year.

That’s the tea from me to WU.

Edited by: Matthew L. Self