Washburn softball splits doubleheader against Missouri Southern

The Washburn softball team finally played in Topeka for the first time this year, but they were still unable to play on their home field. Due to the late-week rain, a doubleheader, that was originally scheduled for Friday, was pushed back to Sunday and moved to Hummer Sports Park. When they finally got to play the Missouri Southern Lions the two teams split the twin bill with the Lions winning game one 3-0 and the Ichabods taking game two 4-3.

Game one was a pitchers dual between Washburn’s sophomore Raegen Hamm and Missouri Southern’s Taurean Guzman. The first run of the game came in the second inning on an error and it looked like that might be the only run of the game.

It wasn’t, however, as the Lions got two more runs in the seventh to create some separation. The first of those runs came on a double to the right-center gap. The Ichabods had a chance to take control of the inning, but a fielding error put two runners on and the Lions made Washburn pay for it with another double to extend the lead to 3-0.

Washburn loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh with two outs, but senior Taylor Kirk grounded out to third to end the ballgame.

The story of the game for the Ichabods was runners left on base. They had runners on in nearly every inning but stranded 10 runners which was ultimately the difference.

Junior Winter Henry led the offense with two hits while senior Samantha Stallbaumer, junior Brianna Fuchs, senior Savannah Moore, freshman Sienna Hall and freshman Maddie Stipsits all had one hit apiece.

Hamm pitched 6 1/3 innings allowing only two earned runs.

During game two, the Ichabods finally got some offense together in the second game. After surrendering a first inning unearned run in the first, Kirk led off the bottom of the second with a double to right center. Henry immediately followed up with a single to center to tie the game.

Washburn grabbed their first lead of the afternoon in the fifth inning on a Lion error. Henry was then hit by a pitch to load the bases. Stipsits then had the clutch hit of the day, singling up the middle to score a pair of runs and make the score 4-1.

Stipsits was ecstatic to come through in such a big spot.

“Awesome,” said Stipsits. “Amazing. That was so great to do that for my team.”

The Lions got two runs back in the sixth but were unable to tie the game.

Henry had another hit in game two and was feeling good all day.

“I felt like I had a lot more confidence in myself,” said Henry. “Going up to the plate and saying, ‘I’m going to jack this ball over you’ is a good feeling and that’s what I was thinking at the plate today and it somehow worked.”

Freshman Bailey Zuniga was excellent in the circle going 5 1/3 innings only allowing two earned runs.

“I’m so proud of her,” said Stipsits. “She did such a good job and being a freshman with her is so awesome. I’m so happy for her.”

Washburn will be back at it Monday afternoon with another doubleheader at Hummer Sports Park against the Pittsburg State Gorillas.