WU Soccer looking for win

Anzhelika Tolstikhina, anzhelika. tolstikhina@washburn. edu, is a sophomore nursing major.

The two most recent losses of the Washburn soccer team in matches against Missouri Western State University on Friday, Oct. 10 with a 0-1 score and against Northwest Missouri State University on Sunday, Oct. 12 with 0-2 score have added to the pressure load being put on the squad. As a result of less-than-pretty scores, the more unpleasant statistics show that Ichabods are 0-11-1 overall and 0-7- 1 in MIAA play. On top of all the unfortunate aspects, Washburn has scored only four goals in 1,100 minutes of action this season. The team still has six games ahead of it against opponents who are not as threatening as other teams are in terms of box scores.

The most interesting fact of the situation is that the fans who cheer for the squad on a consistent basis as well as the people who happen to watch Ichabod matches only from time-to-time share the visible contradiction that has been developed between the effort put into the games and actual outcomes of those games. The women might be giving their heart and soul in their endeavor to win, but if only such a trait determined the preferable outcome. The reasons for an unsuccessful season may lie behind many factors. One of the main ones might be a current lack of playing experience in college-level soccer with 13 freshmen players having arrived straight out of high school. Overall, the team consists of 24 underclassmen out of 30 total players. Also, the squad has been losing their players with forward Sara Taylor, sophomore defender Hailey Ruder, freshman defender Audra Keehn, freshman midfielder Presley Wiggins and sophomore midfielder Kate Combs all being out due to injuries.

“Obviously, I am frustrated, disappointed and wish that my team was getting more success for the effort that they put,” shared head soccer coach Tim Collins. In Collins’ opinion, the team had unnecessary errors that he assured they are working on. The coach and the women are planning to remain positive, keep up the hard work and turn their flaws into their strength.

The Ichabods will host their longest homestand of the season and will play Missouri Southwestern on Oct. 17 and Southwest Baptist on Oct. 19. At the last three home games of the season the squad will finish with matches against Fort Hays State on Oct. 24, Nebraska Kearney on Oct. 26 and Emporia University on Oct. 31.