IMPORTANT TAX INFO FOR STUDENTS: Update Social Security Number

As required by the IRS, each January Washburn sends students a Form 1098-T, which reports eligible tuition and fee charges, along with grants and scholarships applied to the student’s account. This information is needed to claim any eductional deductions or credits on the student’s (or the student’s parents’) 2015 income tax return.

In order to receive a 1098-T for 2015, you must provide a Social Security Number (SSN) to the University.

If you have not previously provided your SSN to the University; if you believe your SSN is incorrect in our system; or if your SSN has legally changed, please visit the Student One Stop (Morgan Hall, room 152) with your Social Security card so we can update your information. Note that international students who are considered to be nonresident aliens for tax purposes may receive a Form 1042-S rather than, or in addition to, Form 1098-T.

Also, please make sure all your address information is accurate and up-to-date. You can check this by going to MyWashburn, then to the Financial Services tab. On the right-hand side, under the heading “Student Account Information”, is a link to review or update your current and permanent addresses.

For any other questions about your Form 1098-T, please contact the Washburn University Business Office at 785-670-1156 or via email at [email protected].

Chris Leach

Associate Vice President for Finance