Fall break brings students relief and relaxation

Left: Ryan Peroo, freshman accounting major, Jackson Kirby, freshman economics major, and Aaron Ware, freshman criminal justice major, prepare to finish their first semester at Washburn with ease after returning from fall break.

Amy Reinhardt

After adding two extra days to their weekend for fall break, Washburn students arrived back to campus on Oct. 7 to take on the remainder of the semester.

Universities sponsor this break as a small relief for tests and projects deadlines. These few days away from campus allow students to revamp and relax before diving into the last few months of the fall semester.

“I greatly appreciate that Washburn offers students a fall break; it allows for the fall semester to fly by,” said Tori Davis, senior marketing and management major.

Some students seize the opportunity to lie around and catch up on Netflix, while others visit family and friends or utilize the break for traveling.

“I went hiking in Colorado Springs and did some shopping in Denver,” said Mariana Yoshita, junior international business and marketing major. “Fall break is definitely one of the most exciting parts of my semester.”

Not all students are like Yoshita. Gabriel Hillebert, sophomore business major, spent his time catching up on homework and relaxing with loved ones.

“I like that we have a fall break. It’s something to look forward to after all the stress of first exams and projects are over,” Hillebert said.

To most, fall break is too short and appears to be a teaser compared to Thanksgiving or winter break. Now that classes are back in session most students do feel refreshed.

“I guess you could call what I feel ‘motivated’ or rather rested/relaxed enough to not want to skip the upcoming weeks’ classes,” said Andrew Fletcher, senior English major.

Fall break is strategically placed around this time in October to allow students a necessary rest halfway through the semester, similar to spring break.

“Coming back from break definitely helped me become more motivated, at least in the short term,” Hillebert said.