News Briefs: Issue 21

Wesley Tabor

Washburn dining alters hours

Washburn’s dining services is altering its hours until further notice. The changes were set to take effect Sunday, March 15.

Bods Connect members received an email Monday stating the idea has come following recent decisions made by local universities to alter school schedules.

As part of the changes, Washburn dining has shortened hours for the Corner Store to 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Closed on the weekends.

Lincoln Dining Hall will remain open daily. 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then re-opening from 5-8 p.m. Monday through Friday. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then re-opening 5-8 p.m. on the weekends.

Individuals are asked to use the Chartwells Text2Chat program by texting 331-200-3666.

The Washburn Review staff contacted Chartwells through its Text2Chat program to ask about the Union Market.

The Review staff was informed the Union Market is closed until further notice. The Corner Store and Lincoln Dining Hall are the only options available – with altered hours.

For more information, visit the Washburn Dining Facebook page and online website at https://new.dineoncampus.com/washburn

Campus closures due to COVID-19

There are several campus closures due to the spread, and concern, of COVID-19.

Closures include the Mulvane Art Museum, the Mulvane Art Lab, the Union Market and Washburn Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

All summer study abroad programs have been canceled, suspended due to the level of spread of COVID-19 throughout numerous countries.

The Washburn Student Recreation and Wellness Center released a statement on social media Tuesday that the recreation facility and all athletic facilities will remain closed until the end of March.

Ichabod shop, dining options remain open

Students have to eat and have access to course materials.

The Ichabod shop and Washburn dining remains open to students – with alterations to hours of operation.

The Ichabod Shop will remain open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. These hours apply the time frame of March 16-28. The Ichabod Shop will then re-assess if they will further continue these shortened hours.

The Corner Store and Lincoln Dining Hall remain open as well.

Hours of operation for Washburn dining options can be found in this week’s news briefs.

Governor Laura Kelly cancels all in-person K-12 activities

Governor Laura Kelly made the difficulty decision to cancel all in-person K-12 schools for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.

The decision came during a media briefing at the Kansas Statehouse Tuesday.

Government leaders continue to find ways to address an increased level of community concern around the spread of COVID-19.

“The reality of this pandemic is that it cannot be controlled statewide if school buildings return to normal operations,” said Governor Kelly during the briefing Tuesday afternoon.

Superintendents were notified on the decision Tuesday. Those superintendents are expected to work with students and families to find ways to develop continuous learning at home.

“Coronavirus has caused massive disruption in all our lives,” said Kelly. “As Kansans we have always done what is necessary to protect our families – this moment is no different.”

The state is unsure what or how continuous learning will work moving forward. They hope to develop plans for this in the coming week(s).

Washburn University moves all in-person classes online for the remainder of the year

In a WU Announcement emailed out to all faculty, staff and students at 7 p.m. March 17, President Farley announced that all in-person classes that were transferred to online classes will remain online throughout the remainder of the semester. Washburn Tech announced the same plans. Alongside this development, Washburn University has canceled its May commencement.

Edited by Adam White, Abbie Barth