Washburn Tech opens new health care lab

Jefferson Williams

A state-of-the-art health care simulation center is set to be unveiled at 3 p.m., Nov. 12 at Washburn Tech.

Students at Washburn Tech will learn to use the latest technology and practice their skills on new patient simulators that mimic real-life scenarios with different physical responses.

“Our new simulation lab will provide students a safe and realistic environment to experience nursing scenarios,” said Jerry Farley, president of Washburn University. “This opportunity allows them to refine their clinical decision-making skills without adverse consequences, providing them with confidence and promoting patient safety.”

To fund the addition, Washburn Tech and the Washburn School of Nursing received a portion of an $11.9 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor and the KanTrain project.  Washburn and three other Kansas colleges received this  award to promote training efforts for job-driven skills.

The first grant Washburn received from this program was  $19.6 million in 2011, awarded to Washburn to advance its manufacturing training department.

Washburn Tech’s health care program provides training to students in nine different areas, including certified nurse aide and practical nursing. These programs give students the hands-on education required to be successful in their high-demand careers.