Louise Krug

Kenzie McCoy

Louise Krug is a writer, professor, mother, and brain bleed survivor who has just begun fully acclimating to her new position as an English professor here at Washburn.

Although she commutes to Topeka from her home in Lawrence, Krug says she is beginning to feel more comfortable around campus and is anxious to learn more about the students and faculty at Washburn this semester.

“Every week it seems like I meet a new friend or learn something new about Topeka,” Krug said.

Although it may only be her second semester at Washburn, she’s been teaching English classes since 2008 at The University of Kansas and says she enjoys the rewards of teaching. Krug says teaching never feels like a job to her, and wants her students to know that she wants everyone to succeed.

“I love the connections that I get to make with students and I love finding out about their interests, even if their interests aren’t with English,” Krug said. “I love trying to help students find their way and I just like learning about their lives. I just really enjoy sharing what I love, which is good writing, and that’s how I see my job and that’s why I enjoy my job.” 

However, before her successful teaching career, Krug’s life was interlaced with a traumatic event. At 22, Krug underwent an emergency craniotomy from a sudden brain bleed. Krug’s vision, eyesight, and ability to walk suffered greatly.

Krug shares her story, details about her recovery and the hardships of going through her recovery with the help of her loved ones, in her memoir, “Louise: Amended,” that was published in 2012. “Louise: Amended” was named one of Publishers Weekly’s top 20 Best Nonfiction Books of 2012. Krug’s second memoir, “Tilted: Essays on Life After Brain Surgery,” releases this year.

“I read somewhere recently that writing about trauma helps you feel better, and I think that’s really true and I think in “Louise: Amended” and in my [second] book, it’s me figuring out how to deal with my situation,” Krug said.

Krug says her second book is a sequel, composed of essays and will touch on her life now, getting married, having kids, exercising and doing things that normal people do, but with a twist.

“I think that writing about things kind of helps you puzzle out whatever problems you’re dealing with and I think that’s true in all sorts of ways for all sorts of people. It was kind of healing,” Krug said.

Krug, her husband and two children are planning on moving to Topeka this summer. Krug also plans on doing a reading for her second book on campus this spring.