Editorial: Fresh semester, fresh start

Review Staff Editorial

One of our favorite things about Washburn is its history of comradery. The school was intended to be inclusive from the day its charter was signed in 1865. In 1870, the board of trustees abolished “ladies courses,” determining that subjects of study should be open to all genders. In 1903, Washburn refused to participate in a football game when the opposing team requested that a student, Walter Caldwell, not play because of his race. Many more stories of Ichabods taking a stand for their community can be found in Washburn’s history.

Last year, we saw the introduction of initiatives from WSGA to combat sexual violence. Campus groups have joined forces to engage in a conversation about race and the experiences of minorities. Concerned community members are talking about the campus gun policies introduced in Kansas. Even more students, faculty, and staff are involved off campus in projects they support with their time and effort. We like to think that with our school’s history, part of what it means to be an Ichabod is to show up and stand up for our peers and our colleagues. We do that. And that is really cool.

That is part of what we would like to take into this new semester here at the Review. This publication is about you and showing up for what you do. That means the content should be not just informative, but also relevant and intriguing – inspiring discourse about the news that matters to you. We are excited to see what this 2016 holds for our campus and we will be there for every part of it.

“Will McAvoy: What does winning look like to you? Mackenzie MacHale: Reclaiming the fourth estate. Reclaiming journalism as an honorable profession. A nightly newscast that informs a debate worthy of a great nation. Civility, respect and a return to what’s important… No demographic sweet spot; a place where we can all come together.” – HBO’s “The Newsroom”