Valentine’s Day polarizing holiday for students

Amy Reinhardt

Whether happily in a relationship or enjoying the single life, many Washburn students are taking a stance on the love-themed holiday known as Valentine’s Day.

“This holiday means doing lots of pink and red crafts and using creativity to show affection to those you love,” said Kristen Kogl, senior marketing and entrepreneurship double major.

While Valentine’s Day is universally known as a day of celebrating relationships and professing love to that special someone, this holiday has developed a unique meaning for everyone.

“I feel like Valentine’s Day is a hallmark holiday. In my experience it’s mainly about giving gifts and is not really anything special,” said Whitney Earnest, junior history major.

Despite the holiday becoming more commercialized in the eyes of some, couples still enjoy exchanging gifts.

“I love getting gifts that are homemade, or something thoughtful that brings up good memories,” Kogl said.

Kogl and her boyfriend, Keenan, plan to spend the evening together with dinner followed by a gift exchange. Kogl intends to surprise him with clothes and a handmade valentine accompanied with candy.

Like Kogl, Chelsea Klitzke, senior nursing major, also prefers homemade Valentine’s Day gifts.

“It’s not about how much money you spend. It’s about the time and effort that is put into the gift,” Klitzke said.

Klitzke and her boyfriend of one year, Jeremy, have chosen to celebrate the holiday by first enjoying brunch at the Blue Moose and then spending the remainder of the day together.

“I’m more about quality time than gift-giving. I’d rather spend the day with that special person,” Klitzke said.

For those who are still riding the singles train, Feb. 14 can stir up feelings from the opposite side of the emotion spectrum.

“To me, Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean a whole lot,” said Patrik Gosselin, an undeclared sophomore. “It’s not something I celebrate.”

Anti-Valentine’s Day parties and other events like Galentine’s Day, a day girls celebrate with their girlfriends on Feb.13, have become popular options for those who do not have a significant other to celebrate with.

Kogl believes these types of events are great because they allow single people to make this holiday positive and exciting.

“I think it’s pretty awesome because you’re spending time with your friends who aren’t in a relationship,” Earnest said. “It’s a really cool way to get people together.”

Instead of fixating on not being in a relationship on Feb. 14, students, even those in relationships, suggest that the focus should be on commemorating all the people in your life.

“I have a relationship and that’s not my focus this weekend. It shouldn’t be your be all, end all, especially right now,” Earnest said. “You’re in college. You have the rest of your life to figure it out.”