History department to host forum on refugee crisis

Kenzie McCoy

Washburn’s history department will be hosting a forum at 7 p.m. March 31 in Henderson 112 to discuss the movement of refugees since the last world war.

Today, many refugees are fleeing from warzones and dealing with difficult journeys and crossings throughout Europe. This large, continuous movement of refugees has caused changes in many countries policies.

Phi Alpha Theta, the history honor society, will host the forum event and will provide all students with information on these refugee topics as well as American policies.

Phi Alpha Theta has previously hosted forums on other international issues for the history department. These forums have included topics on the Middle East, Iraq war, the war against terrorism, the Ukranian war and others.

Faculty members Tom Prasch, Bassima Schbley and Linsey Moddelmog will participate in the forum.

Schbley, professor of social work, will be focusing on the social work emphasis of the discussion with topics on Lebanon and Turkey.

Prasch, chair of the history department, said he will be focusing on European issues, terrorism and the American Union.

Moddelmog, political science professor, will focus on how international treaties have defined refugees.

“The forum definitely is not just for history majors,” Prasch said. “However, for history majors, it will provide historical background, but it’s the real world we live in.” 

After the professors discuss their topics of choice, students will be able to ask questions and participate in a discussion about the topics.