Bod Magazine: A word from a thrifting fashionista

Amy Reinhardt STUDENT MEDIA

Imagine walking out of a store with two bags of clothes and calculating the money you spent and then realizing you saved a ton of money. This is exactly how I feel every time I leave a thrift store.

Ever since high school I’ve been a smart shopper. I acquired this valuable skill from years of watching my mother tear through clearance racks, cut coupons and sign up to receive store discounts.

When I started shopping at thrift stores I was amazed by what treasures I found within a rack of more than 100 shirts.

Shopping at thrift stores not only saved me money, but gave me the opportunity to develop a unique style I absolutely love. I never knew I could feel so confident while wearing pre-worn clothes.

Thrift stores have fulfilled a surplus of personal fashion needs. I’ve found homecoming dance dresses, Halloween costumes and attire for job interviews and other formal events.

When complimented on my clothing, people are amazed to hear the price I paid, which is usually in the single digits.

Throughout my time spent in thrift stores, I’ve learned several significant lessons. I’ve acquired the discipline needed to avoid splurging when items are inexpensive. I use the motto “Only buy what you need most” as a reminder of how easy it is to get carried away when the prices are so low.

Thrift stores cram a substantial amount of items onto their racks and shelves that make the shopping process take longer. Due to this fact, I’ve gained the virtue of patience.

I’ve also become less materialistic by donating old clothing back to thrift stores every few months to ensure that I’m not being bogged down by too many various clothing items.

Shopping at secondhand stores granted me a modest mindset regarding body image. I’d rather wear comfy, pre-worn shoes than blister-prone heels that require three weeks to be broken in. It’s my stable self-confidence that prompts me to suggest the thrifting lifestyle to my friends.

When I moved to Topeka for college, I was forced to adjust my thrifting patterns. When I’m home in Overland Park, my go-to places are Savers and City Thrift. When school is in session, I usually head over to Plato’s Closet on Wanamaker Road.

I’m truly grateful to my mother for teaching me that pre-worn, discounted and clearance rack clothes are just as worthwhile as $100 diamond-studded jeans on a shelf in Buckle.

Within the fashion industry, thrift stores are classified to most consumers as the cheap option. The stores are stereotyped on the basis of sanitation and disorganization, and the people who choose to spend their money there are noted as stingy and tacky.

While thrift stores are not the equivalent of a sparkly department store, they still serve as functional retail outlets. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences at Plato’s Closet.

Several thrift store chains exist in the United States, but the one with the most contemporary, stylish items is Plato’s Closet.

The high-end consignment shop targets high school and college-aged males and females to inform them that it is possible to save money while still sporting the latest trends around campus.

Plato’s Closet fits nearly any personality whether the shopper is going for a gothic, preppy, chic, sporty, classy, vintage or hipster look. The options are endless with various attractive items to choose from.The store’s layout incorporates adjacent sections for bags, dresses, jewelry, jackets, jeans, shoes and much more.

One of my greatest purchases at Plato’s Closet was a $10 fitted black leather jacket. I purchased the jacket during my junior year of high school and wore it for several years before finally outgrowing it in college. This goes to show that Plato’s Closet sells durable items guaranteed to last.

The relaxing environment of Plato’s Closet provides a comfortable atmosphere for shoppers. From the alternative background music to the friendly staff members, shoppers are put at ease during their time filtering through racks.

The biggest distinction between Plato’s Closet and other thrift stores is that they buy clothes from their consumers. This strategy allows them to sustain a trendy selection. All you have to do is bring in lightly used name brands and you’ll instantly be presented with some cash on the spot.

Plato’s Closet has something for everyone with crammed racks and unending daily arrivals of new items, so every trip will be a new experience.

This is an article from the Spring/Summer 2016 Bod Magazine. Pick up your FREE copy today WITH additional content in front of the Student Media Office located on the lower level of Memorial Union.