Vice president of finance and administration accepts new position in Texas

Rick Anderson acquired a new position at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. Anderson worked at Washburn University for nearly six years.

Ali Dade

An important member of Washburn’s faculty will soon be relocating to the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) in Edinburg, Texas.

Rick Anderson has worked as the vice president of finance and administration at Washburn University for nearly six years after receiving his master’s of business administration in accounting from Oklahoma State University.

Anderson spoke highly of his years spent here at Washburn, noting that he had visited campus several times over the last 20 years and continued to see campus-wide progress since 1997, when Jerry Farley became university president.

“[My time at Washburn] has been the best professional experience of my career. The friendly, collaborative people and culture of Washburn make this a very special place in public higher education,” said Anderson.

Anderson described his position as vice president of finance and administration here at Washburn as, “providing leadership and strategic direction … Implementing and executing an annual operating budget.”

Anderson also spoke fondly about his personal connection to Washburn over the past three years, such as seeing his son Colton attend the same university he himself was employed at.

“I had the pleasure of watching my son play basketball and become an outstanding young man with his experiences on campus,” Anderson said.

His son currently plays as a forward for the Washburn men’s basketball team. He will be a senior this year.

In a press release sent out to all Washburn employees from Patrick Early, director of university relations, Farley spoke highly of Anderson’s work.

“Rick has been instrumental in helping keep Washburn University on a strong financial footing,” said Farley.

He also went on to note how Anderson has been an essential help in managing the latest major construction projects on the campus, the most notable being the KBI Forensic Science Lab and the Lincoln Hall student residence and dining facility, opening in August.

In his new position, Anderson will be managing the business and financial operations of two UTRGV campuses (University of Texas-Pan America and University of Texas-Brownsville) as well as the new medical school, which will be opening this fall. In addition, he will also oversee the financial operations of many non-profit corporations affiliated with the university.

“Enrollment is almost 29,000 students on three campuses throughout the Rio Grande Valley and is expected to grow rapidly the next seven to 10 years,” said Anderson. “I will be responsible for all the financial and operational areas that help the university run on a daily basis.”

Through Anderson’s departing process, he has continued to receive high regards and well wishes from his colleagues at Washburn University.

Farley provided his congratulatory remarks to Anderson in the aforementioned press release: “This is a tremendous opportunity for Rick and while we’re sorry to see him leave Washburn, we’re excited for his new challenge.”