Bod Magazine: What are work study jobs?

Bod Magazine Cover – Spring 2016

Angel Tolstikhina STUDENT MEDIA

Your Washburn experience can become more connected with job opportunities. Jobs on campus allow students to connect with fellow students and faculty.

On-campus jobs provide an opportunity for students to become more familiar with Washburn’s campus while helping students grow and find their passions.

While job titles range, factors such as federal work study can help connect you with a job fit for you on campus.

Many students face a large cost for their college education, yet there are many ways to receive governmental support through different programs. One of those programs is through Federal Work Study employment (FWS), which a student applies for federal on their annual FAFSA form.

“I just filled out my FAFSA and after I have received my award. The history department offered me a position as a student worker,” said Marissa Coyle, senior history major. FWS is based on financial need of an undergraduate and provides them with an opportunity to work on campus up to 10-15 hours per week at the federal minimum wage.

“The difference between a work study and non-work study is only in the source of where the funds come from,” said Jamie McEwen.

Not all jobs require FWS but if the student is eligible for FWS there are job opportunities available in almost every department at Washburn, as well as community service jobs off-campus.

In regard to eligibility requirements, the student needs to be enrolled and in good academic standing with the university, which are the same requirements for receiving FAFSA.

There are many reasons why Work Study is a great option for undergraduates. Studies show that the graduation rate is 18–20 percent higher for students who are working on campus versus those who are working other places or not working at all.

This is an article from the Spring/Summer 2016 Bod Magazine. Pick up your FREE copy today WITH additional content in front of the Student Media Office located on the lower level of Memorial Union.