Traditions Night rouses students for a new semester

Ali Dade

Washburn’s Traditions Night took place Aug. 19 the second day of Welcome Week.

Traditions Night has been a popular event at Welcome Week and is usually held at Yager Stadium, but due to heavy winds and rain, it was moved to White Concert Hall for the night.

The first to speak at the event was university president Jerry Farley. He roused the crowd with a speech encouraging new students to enjoy their time at Washburn. After Farley spoke, the Dancing Blues took the stage, followed by Washburn’s cheer team.

The audience accepted both performances with high enthusiasm.

The agenda then listed the presentation of multiple Washburn sports teams including women’s soccer and women’s volleyball. One of the teams also introduced was track and field/cross country, which is returning to campus after being away for 30 years.

Then the football team took the stage, recieving the loudest and most enthusiastic response from the crowd. The team was led by head coach Craig Schurig, who rallied up students to show their support for the team.

“You can help us get kick-started after all of this welcome week, on September 1st, Thursday at 6 p.m. Come cheer on the football team, watch us play that game and then come back and watch us play every home game. You will see the school spirit that Washburn University has on Sept. 1. Go big blue!”

Next up to speak was Washburn Student Government Association president, Malcolm Mikkelsen. He encouraged students to attend as many events on campus as possible and to get involved with student government by giving them suggestions for new events and activities.

One of the most rousing speakers of the night was Washburn alumni Angel Romero, who is featured in TK Magazine this month as one of the “20 Under 30” in Topeka and Shawnee county. Romero holds two degrees from Washburn, an undergrad degree as well as a graduate law degree.

“I want to congratulate each and every one of you, because you made the awesome choice to come right here to Washburn University,” Romero said.

“You have made a choice that is going to set you up for success, in every way that you can imagine. The combination of that choice and the hard work that you put in here for your classes and outside of classes, shapes the connections you make at Washburn. This is going to set you up on a path that will set you up for success. Congratulations, you’ve already taken one big step to success today.”

Along with congratulating students, he encouraged them to explore their new hometown of Topeka and reminded them that it’s never too early to start making connections with students, faculty and alumni alike.

The night ended on a high note, with the cheerleaders performing a routine, and the Washburn marching band closing it out with the Fight Song and Alma Mater.