Students swing, race into Homecoming Week

Having A Ball: Sydney Masters, freshman social work major, poses in the middle of the dance floor at the Homecoming Ball. The ball was  at 7 p.m. Oct. 24 in the Washburn A/B Room, featuring royalty as elected by the student body prior to the dance.

Ali Dade

Organizations and students prepare for Homecoming Week, featuring events including a ball, a race, another Scorch on the Porch chapter and multiple occasions to enter contests. Homecoming started on Monday Oct. 24 and continues through Oct. 29.

Students expressed their interest in the school spirit promoted at the event.

“School spirit has always been important to me, and cheering on your favorite team is hands down the best part of expressing your school spirit,” said Kimmy Woodworth, a sophomore graphic design major.

Homecoming week typically brings together students, staff and alumni alike to celebrate their love for Washburn, and their pride to be an Ichabod.

Multiple events will occur throughout the rest of the week. On Wednesday, Scorch on the Porch will be held from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the union lawn and then Open Mic Night will be in Mabee Library at 7 p.m.

At 7 p.m. on Thursday you can attend Yell Like Hell and watch student organizations perform and dance to win points for their group. Yell Like Hell is a popular event, similar to that of the pep rallies you may have gone to in high school.

Junior nursing major, Brooke Johnston, shared her excitement for participating in Yell Like Hell later this week as a member of the Alpha Phi sorority. She also expressed that she thinks Alpha Phi will reclaim their “Yell Like Hell-champions” title again this year, after falling short to Zeta Tau Alpha sorority last year.

“I haven’t been able to attend any events since coming to Washburn, but I am excited to attend Yell Like Hell on Thursday. I’ve heard that it’s a lot of fun to watch,” said Jack Williamson, a sophomore who is currently undecided on his major.

At 8 p.m. on Friday, on the field behind Henderson, you can join students and alumni for a bonfire.

Finally, on Homecoming Day, Saturday, Oct. 29 you can attend the Parade at 10 a.m. which will wrap around the outside of the University.

Junior, marketing major, Tyler Touchstone said, “I haven’t been to any events yet this year, but I am looking forward to the parade. I joined Kappa Sigma [fraternity] last semester, so I got to help put together their float for the parade this year. I definitely think [Kappa Sigma] is going to win!”

Afterwards at 1 p.m., you are invited to watch the Washburn Ichabods football team take on the Missouri Western State Griffons at our annual Homecoming football game.

The activities leading up to Saturday’s events are to be participated in by different Washburn Student Organizations and Greek Life, which will earn the groups points. At the end of the week, whichever groups have earned the greatest amount of points will earn a plaque and bragging rights for the rest of the year.

There are many events to attend throughout the week, and the University encourages students to attend as many as possible. Homecoming is an opportunity to get to know more about your campus, staff, peers and to make connections to alumni, so make sure you get out and show everyone that you are proud to be an Ichabod at Washburn University.