WU Words: A Dream Coming True

A Dream Coming True

As a child, I was always Grandpa’s nurse. I thought of myself as the family nurse, always drawn to the blood and gore when someone was injured. That interest has followed me throughout my years. I chose nursing because it is a helping profession. I will acquire the knowledge needed to help care for my parents, family, and friends from a nursing perspective. Nursing fulfills all of the criteria I am looking for in my personal definition of the perfect job. I always wanted to work in a field that helps others but is also challenging and in demand. Nurses are especially valuable in these times, because there is such a nursing shortage around the world.

Before choosing to become a nurse, one must first examine themselves to see if they have the right qualities for this demanding job. Some of these qualities are being caring, compassionate, having a strong desire and willingness to help those in need, patience, honesty, and above all, good health. When I was a sophomore in high school, the C.N.A course was offered. This seemed like a great opportunity for me to find out if I would really like the nursing profession. As it turned out, I had the right qualities for this job. I thoroughly enjoyed the class, and caring for patients during clinicals made me realize I wanted to pursue a BSN in nursing. Over the past 5 years, I have worked as a C.N.A at Medicalodges Nursing Home. While working at Medicalodges, I also worked part-time at Glenn Moore Meadows Assisted Living. Some of my duties at Glenn Moore Meadows included laundry, meal prepping, and cleaning, as well as caring for patients. This past year I have held a PRN position at Holton Community Hospital alongside my other positions. Unlike the other care facilities I work at, Holton Hospital has given me the opportunity to practice skills in numerous areas such as OB, ER, inpatient, and outpatient care. I have spent many hours in this setting and feel that I have a good understanding as to what goes on day-to-day.

I studied diligently in high school so I could continue on to college. Not only did I take high school classes, but I achieved 38 college credits just while attending high school. I strive to achieve the best there is to offer in any given situation. When I decided that I wanted to become a nurse, I knew the best way to do it was to achieve a Bachelor of Science in nursing (BSN ) degree. It is the preferred entry level into practice. The BSN program prepares the nurse not only to be able to provide the necessary technical skills, but also develops the nurse’s critical thinking abilities. This is necessary, especially in these times, as nurses begin to take on roles as patient care managers.

The nursing profession is a very influential and rewarding profession. Nurses work closely with sick and troubled individuals. They are rewarded the opportunity to see a patient progress and know that they were an important part of it. On the other hand, a nurse’s job can be heart breaking when things do not turn out well for a patient. Nursing to me is much more than just a career or job; it’s a privilege that measures our values as human beings. Touching the life of others is a treasure that is immeasurable. Nursing is such a powerful profession, it allows you to influence people and touch their lives. I am willing to work hard to achieve these responsibilities. I realize now how lucky I am to be able to pursue my childhood dream.