Nine workouts to kick off a healthy new semester

Colleen Kelly

College is notoriously the time when we all put on a little extra weight.

Whether you’re still rebounding from the dreaded Freshman 15, or are just wanting to look and feel a little healthier, fitness should be accessible to every Ichabod. Running, biking and swimming are of course, some of the best ways to be fit, but not everyone is able to make those activities a part of their routine. That doesn’t have to be the end of the conversation, though. Whether you’re at home in your the living room or find time to stop at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, there are a multitude of workouts you can do that don’t require any equipment or machines, just enough space to move around comfortably.

I will be focusing on three main types of workout focuses: abs, legs and cardio. Each workout I have selected is meant to be highly accessible, whether you’re new to working out or just want to shake up your gym routine. Click through our full gallery for each workout how-to.

Before you workout, be sure to dress comfortably, have eaten prior, be hydrated and stretch well to get the most out of your workout and avoid potential injury or muscle strain. If you have questions regarding how to incorporate equipment like weights, or would like to create a personalized exercise or diet plan, the Rec Center is free to students and ready to help.

Be sure to also check out the Washburn Review’s ongoing workout playlist on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/wureview/playlist/2CGtcmM3g3panUMpa0fU4v