Students and faculty member recite poems for the Open Mic Poetry

Washburn University celebrates Open Mic Poetry April 2, in the Memorial Union from 1:30 – 3 p.m. More than 30 people joined the event.

Dennis Etzel Jr., senior lecturer of English, hosted the event with Jericho Hockett, associate professor of psychology. They have been doing open mic poetry readings since 2016.

“We do one in October, which is against domestic violence; and then the one in April, which is against sexual assault,” Etzel said. “These are the two topics that are very dear to us in the way that we speak out against and put an end to violence, whether it be domestic violence or sexual assault.”

There were sign-up sheets for anyone who wanted to share poems or recite one from books throughout the speak-out events.

Etzel was the first speaker to recite a poem for the event. Shortly after that, he performed a writing exercise where the audience wrote a poem on the topic of people they care about.

“Every culture, every language knows poetry. And that itself is something that tells me this is something that’s even beyond language,” Etzel said. “So that’s why I’d like you to take your paper out without worry or judgment.”

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month and teal is the representative color to show support. Etzel asked the audience to incorporate the word “teal” in their poems.

The event was done in collaboration with Washburn University’s Counseling Services and the Young Women’s Christian Association’s Center for Safety and Empowerment. Molly Steffes-Herman, university counselor and campus advocate, is part of the counseling services. She talked about what kind of services the department provides for its students.

“Whether you are seeking counseling or case management or just moral support for victim advocacy, we are here,” Steffes-Herman said. “I always tell students that you may feel like ‘I am never in need of that resource,’ but you could absolutely be doing it for somebody who reaches out to you.”

Kristen Hammer, the community engagement coordinator at YWCA, and Rachel Grollmes, public education at YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment, represented their agency in the event.

“We provide free and cognitive services for anyone who has experienced sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking and human trafficking,” Hammer said.

Grollmes shared her poem from an experience she had with a friend.

“This did not happen at Washburn…just to be clear so no one is concerned for their own safety,” Grollmes said.

The poem recounted a time when she helped her friend from a stranger from possible harassment.

Steffes-Herman shortly shared her poem, “For You My Love,” about her relationship with her daughter and got emotional in the midst of her recital.

“Everytime I think about writing this poem, I feel really proud of myself,” Steffes-Herman said. “It means something different every time I read it and as I age.”

The next open mic poetry is going to happen in October for fall semester. The theme for next Ichabods Speak Out would be on domestic violence.

Edited by Jayme Thompson and Jeremy Ford