Plain White T’s performs at biannual WU Stock

Here’s to you: The Plain White T’s perform songs from their catalogue including  the hit song “Hey There Delilah. ” The crowd formed a miniature mosh pit and danced throughout the show.

Whitney Clum

Students gathered for WU Stock at 7 p.m. Sept. 24 at Lee Arena to see the Plain White T’s live in concert. 

Closing out Family Day weekend, WU Stock features a different famous band each year. This year’s band was a crowd-favorite throwback: The Plain White T’s. The group performed their hit song “Hey There Delilah,” as well as a number of their later hits more reminiscent of their punk-rock roots.

“I’d heard of the Plain White T’s,” said Sam Cox, sophomore psychology major. “I heard them when I was really little, and I wanted to see them. I actually just got a Plain White T’s CD before I even heard about this.”

Tickets were $5 for students and $20 for general admission. Prior to the show, attendees were given plain white T-shirts and listened to Honey Country, the opening act comprised of three female country singers. The trio played original songs as well as covers of Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk” and Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off.”

After the 45 minute opening act, the Plain White T’s began the main event with their hit single “1234.” After the crowd-pleasing opening, the band played a medley of their well-known hits as well as their newer material. “The Giving Tree” was overwhelmingly the standout performance of the night, with most of the crowd waving their cellphones in their air by the end.

Relatively unknown songs such as “Our Time Now” were supplemented by high energy from the audience. Tom Higgenson, lead singer, would sing a part of a verse, then give a cue to the audience to echo it back. By the end, a small mosh pit had formed and the crowd was able to sing along to each chorus. Most songs were introduced by Higgenson with a short explanation as to how the group wrote it and what personal significance the lyrics had to them.

After a brief fake-out where the band abruptly left the stage without playing their hit single, the band appeased the audience with a rendition of “Hey There Delilah.” The crowd belted out the entire song along with the band. Much to the delight of the assembled crowd, The Plain White T’s surprised everyone with the altered lyric, “Hey, Washburn, here’s to you.” 

“I used to listen to ‘Hey There Delilah’ a lot, like everyone else,” said Truman Gentry, computer repair and networking student at Washburn Tech.

The Plain White closed out the concert with a rendition of “Rhythm of Love,” a softer hit to the wind down the night’s high energy. 

Students left the concert happily nostalgic for the band. The crowd was impressed with the band’s newer music, too.

“I would come and see them again when their album releases next year [if] they go on tour,” said Bayli Milleson, junior mass media major.