Students find their place at Washburn through countless organizations

Jayme Thompson
Students trying to find their place at Washburn have many opportunities to find a community that suits them. People have joined clubs, organizations and attended events as a way to make friends and fit in.

People often struggle finding their place in an environment that is unknown to them. Starting at a new university can be a big adjustment; however, Washburn has several opportunities for students to find their group and fit into a community.

“You find there’s a lot of people just like you, just gotta go out and find it,” said Zachary Cook, a freshman international business major.

Washburn always has new people coming in as there are new freshmen, transfers and even returning students. Teresa Leslie-Canty, a student success professional and lecturer, gives her advice on how to branch out.

“When you’re walking to class, look on the bulletin boards, because there’s always crazy stuff hanging up,” Leslie-Canty said. “you might see something that draws your attention. Go to it! I promise you, nobody’s gonna say ‘oh, you can’t come in’.”

Washburn has over 100 clubs and organizations that students have the chance to join. There is something for everyone with varying interests.

“I know it’s hard to get out of your shell when you first get on campus, to get to know people; but I mean, once you start to come out of that shell you just start getting to know people,” said Deandre Harvey, a sophomore integrated studies major.

There are organizations geared towards specific majors, political stances and some that are strictly for student enjoyment such as the Dungeons and Dragons Club.

There are also groups that are geared towards minorities such as the Black Student Union which accepts everyone wanting to join.

“It’s really shaped who I am and what I see, what matters in life and my purpose. So, it’s had an incredibly massive impact on my life,” said Muffy Walter, an assistant professor of English.

Harvey shares his experience with finding a community within BSU.

“I look at this organization as one big family. We’re able to be ourselves, give back to the community, help those in need,” Harvey said. “I’ve actually been connected with a lot of great people in this organization, and it’s a fun organization to be in.”

As well as organizations and clubs, Washburn also has events and activities in an attempt to get students involved and build a sense of community on campus.

Students can view the university’s calendar on the school website to find upcoming meetings and events.

Edited by Morgan Albrecht and LeSha’ Davis