Washburn volleyball defeats Pittburg State, falls short to UCO

Cassie Nichols

The Ichabods faced ups and downs this weekend as they took on the Pittsburg State Gorillas and the Oklahoma University Bronchos.

The Ichabods took on the Gorillas Friday, Oct. 6 in a home game where they blanked the Gorillas with a 3-0 win. This victory improved the team’s overall record to 12-6 for the season. The Ichabods dominated the major aspects of the game with a better overall hitting, serving and kill record.

However, the Ichabods suffered a tough loss to the undefeated Bronchos during their next match Saturday, Oct. 7. Although Central Oklahoma won 2-3, the Ichabods did not make their opponent’s victory easy and consistently outhit them through the match. 

Chris Herron, head volleyball coach, was proud of his team’s overall performance this weekend.

“I thought that we had good effort all weekend,” Herron said. “We played much better Saturday than we did on Friday, we just played a better team. The freshman have some growing up to do. I’m not one for excuses, but they are getting better. I have a good group who works hard. I never have to worry about my players working hard.”

Coach Herron is looking to use the loss as a teaching moment and move forward to improve as a team.

“We expect to get better every single day and every single practice,” Herron said.

This weekend also brought recognition to Allison Sadler, freshman setter, who was received the Hy-Vee Student Athlete of the Week award for the second time this season. She outset her career high of 60 assists from the previous weekend with 62 assists in a single-match performance.

“Being Student Athlete of the Week is really exciting for me but honestly my team helped me so much,” said Sadler. “We went to five sets and they all worked so hard to give me good passes and helped me get assists. I couldn’t have done it without them.”

WU volleyball is currently 12-7 overall and 3-4 in conference play.

The Ichabods will next face a conference matchup 7 p.m. Oct. 18 against the Southwest Baptist University Bearcats in a home game where they look to improve their MIAA record.