WSGA talks about campus safety and future events

Kate Coulter, a sophomore in communications, and Maggie Bourell, a freshman in political science, listen to Herra talk. They considered what he was talking about and what he wanted to do around campus.

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023, Washburn Student Government met for their 10th meeting of the year. The cabinet and senators gave updates from their committees and upcoming events.

Sierra Jetter, health and wellness director, announced upcoming crash course events for students.

Dante Jordan, administrative assistant, informed meeting attendees about working with health and wellness for a self-defense night at the end of November.

The campus and community affairs committee talked about ideas for success week to help students. One of their plans is to hold a study night at Mabee Library with pizza and hot chocolate.

Cody Danner, a senior art major, requested funding from the Student Development Grant. The funding will be to help with his upcoming art project. A new business that was brought to the senate was the “Danner Grant”to help Danner with his art exhibition.

“We offer two different types of grants, in addition to our just general funding request process that students can apply for,” George Burdick, budget director said, “One is the development grant and the other is the initiative grant.”

The development grant helps students with their own personal leadership development. The initiative grant is if a student needs help funding a campus project, event or something that benefits all students.

Organizations including Unite for Reproductive and Gender Equity, peer educators, Spanish club and Washburn piano and organ society, requested funds for upcoming events and leadership opportunities.

URGE requested $1,422 to help fund products on campus such as menstrual items, pregnancy tests and much more.

“I think having an organization on campus that is outspoken, willing to use the funding that they have, and willing to be very active on campus is super important,” Jeter said.

Peer Educators requested $650 for food for their meeting for all peer educators. Spanish club requested $200 for their leadership conference. Washburn piano and organ society requested $1,143 for the András Schiff Concert.

A public forum was also part of the night’s senate meeting which was about campus safety with Chris Herrara, safety director.

Many senators and some from the gallery asked questions about campus safety. After the senate meeting there was a safety tour walk around campus that included people from residential living, WSGA, student life and even students themselves.

“We learned a lot about different places that have a lack of lighting and a lack of ability to get maybe a blue light system, where you can push a button and get Washburn police department pretty easily.” Antonio Martinez, WSGA president said.

Students can call WUPO at 785-670-1153 or can press the emergency buttons around campus in need of help.

The next WSGA meeting will be Nov. 8, 2023, all students are welcome.

Edited by Cheyenne Hittle and LeSha’ Davis