Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Ichabod cheer teaches Team Tenacity kids new skills

The Tenacity Kids Cheer Learning activities are used to help tenacious kids unite and build a healthy environment for them to play, cheer, and learn. In addition, it also helps them feel that they still belong in a social community. (Khoa Huynh)

Tenacity Kids Cheer Learning is a program that helps children develop their strengths and resilience. The Washburn cheer team provides opportunities in a healthy and positive environment to participate in activities for tenacious kids in Kansas. They get together every Monday at Washburn from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

During the activities, a volunteer, Kieana McMillian, senior radiology tech and public health major, shared that she wanted to join the Tenacity Kids because it made her happy, and that is also helpful to help these kids grow.

Sydney Wonell, a senior in nursing, is the main coach for this activity project. She taught the tenacity team with her passion and love. (Khoa Huynh)

“I love these activities so much. When I see the little kids having fun around, I also have so much fun too. Their smiles and the time we spent together make me have great memories of my college time,” McMillian said. “Our cheer exercise also makes these kids less afraid of themselves, able to think outside the box, and also improves their communication skills.”

It was very hard for kids to learn new things that they had not done before. Coach Sydney Wonell, a senior in nursing, shared that the inspiration for her to help them with all of her heart and passion came from her sister.

“It’s because my little sister has Down syndrome, and she’s been on the sidelines watching the cheer for the last 10 years. I always wanted to do something with cheer for her, and now is the perfect time,” Wonell said.

The activities seem like a cardio workout for kids because they need to spend energy on jumping, dancing tricks, and splitting. Wonell also said that her dream is to be a cheer coach in the future.

Washburn cheer brings the spirit, basic dancing, and cheering skills to these kids, improving both their physical and mental health. Their parents were also very happy to see them enjoy every moment with Washburn cheerleaders. (Khoa Huynh)

“I’m graduating in December, and I’ve always wanted to be a coach; therefore, getting to work with kids makes me happy and is a part of my dream. Working on these activities with my amazing students also made my last semester in Washburn unforgotten,” Wonell said.

Every moment was very meaningful for not only the kids and the participants, but also their parents, who must be proud of their kids when they see them try to learn cheerleading techniques and communicate with each other.

At Washburn, everybody belongs, and there is always equality here. Tenacity Kids activities are a great way for kids to learn and grow up, and we give them many activities to help them connect with society.

Edited by Eden Conrad and Jayme Thompson