Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Washburn still clueless about Carole Chapel hours

Carole Chapel’s doors remain locked to students but the reason is still unclear
Aja Carter
Washburn University’s beloved Carole Chapel is currently only available for special events after previously being open to students during the weekdays. These changes were made following the COVID-19 pandemic, but the reason for the chapel still being closed is unclear.

The Carole Chapel’s doors are locked up during usual open hours and Washburn students are beginning to wonder why. The chapel was previously available for meditation where students could go during their free time on campus, but the confusion of the hours has led to the doors being locked 24/7.

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the chapel was open from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m during the weekdays and noon to 5 p.m. on the weekends. Students were able to go in the chapel most hours of the day to have private time for prayer and adoration without having to request special access.

Chris Enos, chief of police at Washburn University, believes that the building may be closed due to safety issues for students since the chapel does not have any police or staff supervision.

“We want the students to be able to use the chapel as it was intended but to also be safe,” Enos said. “Buildings like the pavilion and the chapel do not have supervisors 24/7, so there has to be a balance with use, security and safety.”

The Carole Chapel is a 1,500 square-foot building located between Mabee Library and the Memorial Union. It is currently locked unless there is a special event scheduled through the Washburn University Scheduling office. The chapel’s use is not limited to the Washburn family as members of the Topeka community are also able to reserve the venue for events.

“The chapel’s original purpose was to be able to host events such as recitals, weddings, campus events because they wanted people to be able to do these cool things on campus,” said Becky Bolte, director of Memorial Union. “Everything started to change, because there wasn’t as many people on campus, especially after the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The Carole Chapel was originally located at the former Menninger Foundation site in Topeka and moved to Washburn’s campus in December 2004. The chapel was named after Carole Bloomfield Etzel along with her husband Tim Etzel. They were essential to the chapel’s establishment on campus and worked to raise funds for the project.

Amongst all the chaos that comes with a college campus, Carole and Tim wanted the chapel to be a place where students and staff could have a peaceful place for reflection. It is a place that many students would use to get away from their daily stressors, but with it no longer being accessible, this is no longer possible for these students.

“It is an amazing campus building where our main concern lies in the safety of our students,” Enos said. “If there is no staff oversight it can be an invitation for problems. We don’t want people who are not affiliated with the university to use it because it is unsupervised.”

The beloved chapel’s stained glass windows and surrounding scotch and Austrian pine trees create an admirable scenery for the students and attendees. It hosts numerous recitals, weddings, and campus events such as Gods Bods and Washburn Young Life.

Lydia Vespestad, a senior health service administration major, is a member of the Washburn Young Life organization and believes the chapel is important to students of faith as it provides a tranquil place for prayer on campus.

“We held some of our first events of the year there for Young Life, but I do think it should be unlocked during the week for the students to have access to,” Vespestad said. “I think it is important to have a chapel on campus for students to have that safe space to talk to the Lord or even have a comfortable space to read through his word.”

Unfortunately, the Carole Chapel is not open for meditation and is only available for special events until further notice.

To find out more about Young Life at Washburn, visit the organizations website https://topeka.younglife.org/find-us/#washburnuniversity.

To schedule an event at the Carole Chapel or another campus facility contact the washburn scheduling office at [email protected] or call (785)670-1725.

Edited by Aja Carter and LeSha’ Davis

View Comments (4)
Donate to The Washburn Review
$95
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Washburn University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.