Washburn Christian Challenge enjoys a weekend of worship

In mid-September more than 20 students retreated to summer camp for a weekend of worship and outdoor activities.

The Washburn Christian Challenge group joined college students and families across Kansas for the Fall Conference, hosted by Webster Conference Center.

On the first evening, students gathered for worship and praise. After the worship music, Jamie Dew, president of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, delivered the sermon, which was based off of Philippians 2 and discusses the humility of Christ. He shared how followers of Christ should represent the church by being a servant for others. Dew taught that being a servant means to be selfless before other people and not literally obeying everyone’s command. 

After worship, students broke into their own groups and shared their thoughts about the sermon. 

During freetime, students enjoyed ziplining, nine square, paddle boards, paddle boats and other recreational activities. 

“It was really cool just getting to get closer to my friends and also meet new people and just worship together,” said Haley Carlin, a senior marketing major. “This is my third year going and it’s amazing every single time.” 

Instead of staying in the dorms, Carlin camped outside and slept in a hammock tied to the trees. She said camping was really enjoyable for her first night, but she did get a little cold on the second night.

Carter Hiebert, a sophomore in pre-law, experienced his first year at Fall Conference and enjoyed the worship. 

“The drummer is the drummer at my home church, so it was cool to see him in that environment,” Hiebert said. “He went to Challenge while he was in college, and now he still comes back so that’s cool.”

During the three-day event, participants worshipped together, attended workshop sessions about connecting with others and navigating their lives through the word of God. Fall Conference happens every year and is open to everyone.

Edited by Aja Carter and Regina Cassell