Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Native garden project brightens up Stoffer Hall

Students and faculty work together to start building the native garden. They dedicated their Saturday morning to achieve this goal for the community. (graphic courtesy of Mary Tyler)

Stoffer Hall gets a new look as faculty and students work to plant a native garden on the south side of the building. The project began through discussions between Kaylyn Hobelman, biology laboratory supervisor and Vickie Davidson, chemistry laboratory and environmental supervisor.

Both faculty and students are putting in hard work and dedicating their September Saturday mornings in order to achieve this goal.

There was a previous native garden by the apartments on the southwest corner of campus. However, it was difficult to maintain as it was far from Stoffer Science Hall.

“We eventually got permission to do the south side of Stoffer Hall which is awesome because it’s so close,” Hobelman said.

There are several faculty members and student organizations involved with this project.

Faculty who are involved are Kellis Bayless, senior lecturer biology, Jason Emry, associate professor biology and Rodrigo Mercader, professor biology. Some student organizations that are helping with the project are: Biology club, Chemistry club, Women in STEM and Eco Bods.

“I like the community of it. You get to hang out with your friends and you get to help the environment at the same time,” said Mary Tyler, senior biology major.

The garden will inform students about the importance of pollinators and native plants. In the winter it will look less maintained as the dead plants will remain. It is crucial to leave the dead areas as they become homes for the pollinators during this season.

“There’s a lot of good that’s going to come out of it and a lot of people who are interested in having a resource like that on campus,” Hobelman said.

The purpose of this garden is to provide education in a formal setting for classes such as entomology, ecology and systematic botany. There will also be signs in the garden for people to read as they pass by. While this garden is meant to target science students, it is also meant to educate the entire community.

“I think once it is done, it’s going to be very appreciated,” Tyler said.

Make sure to stop by Stoffer to see the progress of the garden.

Edited by Aja Carter and LeSha’ Davis