Briefs- Nov. 14

BRIEFS

Give Lunch to Topeka

Starting at 11 a.m. Nov. 15 at the Washburn Catholic Campus Center, the Oxfam America Club at WU, God’s Bods, Harvesters, and Hy-vee will be helping to pack lunches for the Topeka community. Everyone is encouraged to come help feed the community.

Historical Movie Night

At 7 p.m. Nov. 15 in Henderson 208, the Historical Movie Nights series by Phi Alpha Theta will continue. The film “Korczak” (1990), by Polish director Andrzej Wajda, depicts the true-story of Dr. Janusz Korczak as he keeps Jewish orphans alive during Nazi occupation. The showing is is free to all Washburn students.

Human Trafficking in Kansas

There will be a panel about human trafficking in Kansas beginning at 2:30 p.m. Nov. 15 in Henderson 112. The three guest speakers will be Travis Rakestraw with the Wichita Police Department, Dorthy Stuckey-Halley, director of victim services for the Kansas Attorney General, and Kris Wade with The Justice Project. The panel discussion is free and open to the public.

Homelessness Simulation, Movie, and Guest Speaker

At 7 p.m. Nov. 16 on the north Union lawn, the Oxfam America Club will be hosting a homelessness simulation. Participants will build cardboard homes and stay on the lawn until midnight. “The Pursuit of Happiness” will be shown, and there will be a guest speaker.

Thanksgiving Gourmet Buffet

From 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 16, in Washburn A & B there will be a Thanksgiving buffet. Tickets are $10 when bought in advance from dining services, and $12 at the door. There will be turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, and much more. Tabitha Reist Steiner will be playing live music on her harp during the lunch as well.

WU Symphony Orchestra and String Orchestra Concert

At 7:30 p.m. Nov. 16, in the White Concert Hall there will be a WU Symphony Orchestra and String Orchestra Concert. This event is open to all Washburn students.

Washburn Opera Studio

From 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 17 and 18 in the White Concert Hall, the Washburn Opera Studio presents Amahl and the Night Visitors, by Giancarlo Menotti. Tickets can be bought online or at the door.

Bubble Soccer Tournament

At 10:30 a.m. Nov. 18 at the Whiting field house/gym, the Washburn University United Nations Association (WU-UNA) will be hosting an indoor bubble soccer tournament. It is $5.00 per person, with teams composed of five people. The deadline to register teams online is Nov. 17 at noon. Proceeds will go to the United Nations World Food Program to fight child hunger. Come by to watch or participate. Questions can be answered at [email protected].

Movie Night in Lincoln Dining

At 8 p.m. Nov. 18 at Lincoln Dining, Residential Living will be showing “The Goonies.” Movie snacks will be provided and there will be prizes. This event is free to all Washburn students.

Crane Observatory Open Viewing

From 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 21 there will be an open viewing of the Crane Observatory in the Stauffer Science Hall. This event is free to all Washburn students.

Thanksgiving break starts Nov. 22. Residence halls will close at 6 p.m. Nov. 21. Classes will resume Nov. 27.